Australorp or Andalusian?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by denimeggs, Apr 22, 2009.

1. denimeggs

denimeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    She came in my McMurrays rainbow mix and is the same size and conformation as my Splash pullet which I believe to be an Andalusian. (They follow blue genetics.) She has some white primaries which you can only see when her wing is stretched out. She's about 9-10 weeks in the pics. The third pic is the Splash counterpart I compare her to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't know but she looks like my Australorps and my Splash Andalusian was yellow as a chick.

3. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    I say Australorp...

4. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I also say BA. They can have some white primaries until they get older. Enjoy her, she will lay nice light brown/off white eggs for you. My BA's lay daily and kept up good production through their first winter(they are just 1 yr old). The egg colors range from almost pinkish to a nice golden brown.

5. denimeggs

denimeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    I'm sorry, on that last post is BA for Black Andalusian, or Black Australorp?

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Her earlobes look like they maybe be turning white. That's going to be your determining factor. Andalusian will be white, BA will be red. I'm guessing andalusian.

I got 3 black minorcas and 1 BA in my last rainbow layer order, and the australorp had a very different body style by that age. She was obviously different.

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Australorp [​IMG] The white primaries will go away.

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    denimeggs asked:
    I'm sorry, on that last post is BA for Black Andalusian, or Black Australorp?

BA is Black Australorp​

9. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Looks alot like our Australorps - BTW are absolutely the most friendly birds I have had!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by