Australorp or black giant?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lablover, Oct 4, 2013.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What color is the bottom of its feet? If they are white, its an Australorp or a Black Orpington. If yellow, you probably have a Jersey Giant (or a Java, but they are kind of rare).

Personally, I'm not sure if your bird is either of those breeds. Her body type reminds me more of a Sumatra. Its possible that she is a mix.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Look at the bottom of her feet. Australorps have pink/white on the bottom of their feet, and Jersey Giants have yellow.

4. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    The bottom of the feet is pink/gray. Darn! I was hoping for a giant. The store orders from Ideal, and there were supposedly giants and aus. mixed together in the pen. I was trying to get away from the "production" birds, so that's why I wanted a giant. Are australorps considered production birds since they lay 5 eggs a week (according to the breed profile on mypetchicken?) I had an internal laying problem with my red sex links, so that is why.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Australorps are pretty good layers, and can be considered production birds, as that is their main purpose. However, they are not as commercialized as Red Sex-Links. You probably won't have as many problems with them as you did with the Red Sex-Links, as Red Sex-Links are bred to produce lots of eggs for about three years. Australorps won't lay as many eggs, but they will live and lay longer.

6. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    Ok thanks! That eases my mind. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by