Australorp or Giant? *pics* Is one a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by truebluexf, May 19, 2011.

1. truebluexf

truebluexf Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    Arg....I just read on here recently that BA's have pink feet, and JG's have yellow. I bought 2 "BA" chicks. One has pink feet. One has yellow. Crap. Does that really mean one isn't what she is supposed to be?

Also, is the one on the left with yellow feet looking roo-ish? Her comb is smaller, but her tail feathers are shorter, she has more waddles, and they and her comb are getting pink. I haven't raised enough of them to know if they are developmental differences or something else. She also is brave enough to challenge the older chicks they were just integrated with.

They stay on the same side through the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They swap sides in this photo

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011

2. Sorin

Sorin Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    They look identical to my jersey giants I have in my brooder. Yes, the astraulorps are supposed to have pink bottom feet and the giants yellow. But the coloring on their legs may fill in more as they get older so it's hard to tell yet. I have never had Astraulorps and this is my first time with Jersey Giants so I'm no expert [​IMG] hopefully someone with experience with one or the other breeds will chime in [​IMG]

3. Sorin

Sorin Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I just saw your added pics, there is quite a difference in the feet isn't there. If one is a JG I would think it would be bigger than the other. Mine are 5 weeks and you can already see the size difference between them and the other standard breeds I have.

4. truebluexf

truebluexf Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    Yes, their feet are very different! They are not different sizes however, so maybe I'm ok. I really want BA's!!

5. Sorin

Sorin Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Well I hope for your sake they are BA's! [​IMG] I really do hope someone else offers an opinion though, like I said I have never raised them before so I'm curious to know for sure myself.

6. jamband

jamband Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    i am intereseted to see what others say...I have 6 week old BA (I think) all their feet are pinkish.....I have seen others say that at 6 weeks the giants are not always outgrowing others yet. I will wait to see what is said though

7. truebluexf

truebluexf Songster

Apr 26, 2011
    Now I have one other concern, that I didn't notice til I was taking all these photos, but the one who is yellow....also has a lot of pink showing up in "her" comb, cheeks, and I guess wattle. The other, with pink feet, has a bigger comb and more tail feathers than she does. Just developmental differences, or the start of a roo? I was actually concerned about the one with pink feet in another post bc her comb was a little bigger, but now that I'm noticing the color in this one...oy. Please help me.

Last edited: May 19, 2011

8. LadyFunnyFarm

LadyFunnyFarm In the Brooder

Well, it probably doesn't help anything, but my JG and RIR are the same age and about the same size. JG do grow a bit more slowly than most. They are cute, whatever they are!

9. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Songster

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Where did you get them? My JG from MPC doesn't have yellow foot-bottoms and while she's def bigger than my other birds, she's not as big as I'd like her to be. She's otherwise gorgeous and a great layer, but I've learned not to expect super great quality from hatcheries.

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: May 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by