Australorp or Jersey Giant?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lishah2000, Oct 1, 2009.

1. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

He was supposed to be a barred rock hen. He is from a hatchery, but I don't know which. He is pretty big and heavy. Bottoms of the feet are somewhat white, not pink or yellow.

He is missing the back part of his comb due to an injury, but it came back another inch or so and down to the back of his head.

He is a good boy and I want to put some hens with him, but don't know which breed.

[​IMG]

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I believe it's a jersey giant. they have the white feet on the bottom. If i remember correctly [​IMG]

LOL, ok i am backwards today..................hahaha

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Australorp.JG are yelow skined.Your bird has Australorp shape too

4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I was going to say Australorp. They have white toenail and the bottoms of their feet are white. He's very handsome!

5. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    I have both Australorps and Jersey Giants. Australorps have pink/white on the bottom of their feet, and Jersey Giants have yellow. Jersey Giants also have a more obvious brown around their pupils. Australorps have more of a dark, almost black, brown.

Hope this helps!

P.s: it was very hard for me to tell when they were chicks because they looked identical. I didn't know how to tell them apart back then, so I had to wait until they grew up.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Australorp.

Bottom of feet should be a pinkish color. I think JG have yellow on the bottom of their feet.

7. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everyone. Sounds like he is Australorp. He has white toe nails and his eyes are all black, very dark.

He is about 8 months old now and a very good boy. I think his comb injury was from a hawk. Even though the free-range hens stay with the other rooster, he is still on the look out and runs off perceived threats. He also watches over the baby run.

I almost gave him away with the other extra boys, but at the last minute decided to keep him. So glad I did.

8. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Black Australorp, BJG should be some what taller, bigger. Yes I agree with the eyes, very dark. To me it gives them an extra allert look to them. Very beautiful male looks to be a good breeder. I just love the red on shinny black. Look like a fine paint job on a fine ride. It just pops.

9. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Absolutely beautiful Black Australope!

10. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Will my australorp look like that?! [​IMG] He is gorgeous! [​IMG]

Luci is a little wimpy looking right now-

[​IMG]