australorp or jersey giant?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chkinut, Dec 5, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    hi guys! i'm researching what chicks to order for the spring (i know, it's early...but u know how us chicken lovers can be!) and i definately want a BIG chicken! so i was gonna order a jersey giant. but then i saw the australorps! and if my research is correct, they're only about a pound less in weight than the JG. is that right? and if so, i may get an australorp simply cuz they're suppose to be excellent egg layers. both breeds seem to be sweet and docile. any advice?

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Henderson's says that Austra's lay "four" average size eggs...

Versus "three" average to above average for the Jersey girls...

So, more with A's, bigger with J's would be my eggy guess.

Size wise Henderson tags Jerseys at 10lbs, and Austras at 6.5... is that right? I donno, but if it is and you're wanting BIG, Jersey wins in the chunky butt category... once source I read said JGs are the choice for capons, because of that size I suppose? So there's a thought to get to get the full 10lb bird without the over Roo taste/texture. Same with Austra though... if you wait for the roo to get full grown... ? But maybe they mature faster? Austra's it says are "moderately early maturing" but I donno if that = fast growing or just quick to breed. Meanwhile JGs are VERY slow... something to ponder.

Broodiness... Austra's supposedly annoyingly broody... good moms. JG's broody sometimes, protective mom. Either seems able to handle babies.

Eh, that's all I've got... really depends on what you're looking for... maybe that info'll help.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  3. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I've had both. Currently have a BJG. My BJG towers over all my girls, INCLUDING my lt brahma, who is big. My Australorp was the same size as all my other chickens.

Jen

4. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    thanx guys! VERY helpful. i have a BO who probably isn't even full grown yet (8 mo. old) and she's a hefty one already. i'm gonna go with the BJG. i really want a big girl. thanks again! [​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you are planing on getting them from a hatchery there isn't going to be much difference between the two.

If you are going with a breeder you will be looking at a big difference between the two breeds and with them and hatchery stock.

Jersey Giants - cocks 13 lbs and hens 10 lbs

Astralorp - cocks 8 1/2 lbs and hens 6 1/2 lbs

And there will also be a big difference body type when dealing with stock from a breeder.

Chris

6. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    Quote:well, if i get a JG from a hatchery, will it be on the small side then? cuz then i don't know if it's worth getting one if she's gonna be the same size as my BO. cuz i can only get so many chickens....if that's the case, i will opt for the australorp since she's a great egg layer.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I got my JG from idea hatchery he is hudge compared to my Australop roo, heres a photo of him and one of my australp hens.
    He's a good natured roo as is my austrolop roo.
    he is 10 months old in this recent photo
    [​IMG]
    This is him with my barred rock/cochin cross roo behind him he is 7 months old.
    [​IMG]

He's got alot of filling out to do ,but he is already a big guy.

Ps my JG hens are just a tad bit larger than my australop hens.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  8. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    wow! what a beautiful guy!!!! nice flock too! arnt chickens addicting??

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Thanks.

Addicting? well mabe a little [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    LOL!! i can't wait to show my hubby! he gives me strange looks when he sees how much i LOVE chickens! and since i'm illegal, i can't have what you have, but maybe one day....if we move! he's thinkin i'm crazy cuz i'm gonna order more chickens this spring. i only have 4....and it's going SO well with them! they free range my whole back yard (privacy 6ft fence) and they're very quiet too! SO.......i gotta get more!! but only 5 more.....lol....it started out with me only wanting to order to 2 more this spring, but then i was researching all the breeds.....and how can you pick just 2???? i love the dog in the pic too! what breed is he?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by