Australorp or Speckled Sussex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by melwynnd, Oct 4, 2012.

1. melwynnd

melwynnd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    West Plains, MO
    Hi everyone,

I'm planning on having 4 hens for eggs on my little urban farm and I'm debating which breed I want. I've had RIR and New Hampshires before, but they are pretty common and I'd like a rarer heritage breed. I also had some lovely black Australorps for just a little while before we moved to Missouri, but I didn't get to keep them long enough to lay eggs. I did love their beautiful purple hued black feathers though.

Anyway, I'm deciding between Australorps and Speckled Sussex. I had a friend who loved her Speckled Sussex. She said they were the calmest and friendliest birds she'd ever had.

I'd like to hear any experiences you all have with these two breeds.

Thanks,

Sherry

2. I have had a few australorps, but only have one now (Dell). I've also had several Speckled Sussex and currently have two (Maggie and the other one doesn't have a name....). I would say they are about the same as far as temparment. I never really handled them much as chicks, but they grew up and now beg to be petted. Neither really care to be held, but don't mind sitting on my lap for some attention. My one complaint about Australorps is that Dell is constantly going broody. I haven't let her hatch anything yet, but soon I'll be using her to set my d'Anver eggs. The Speckled Sussex haven't gone broody so far. I still think I like Dell better though, since she is a little friendlier.

~~Ms.B :)

3. Oh and [​IMG] from Kansas! [​IMG]

4. melwynnd

melwynnd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    West Plains, MO
    Hmm... Broody is not good. When I lived in the country that was one of the reasons I chose Australorps, so they could hatch their own chicks. No rooster here in town though. Although I could probably buy hatching eggs and let her hatch them.... [​IMG]

I plan on naming all my critters after Shakespear characters. Who couldn't love a chicken called Beatrice......

Sherry

P.S. Howdy (almost) Neighbor!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by