1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp question / opinion needed -UPDATED *LAYING* FINALLY!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Echobabe, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    I purchased four chicks in May -- 2 BR, 1 RIR and 1 Australorp from the local feed store. The BRs and RIR all started laying at 21-22 weeks. The Australorp still isn't laying, shows no interest in the nests, and she's now 28 weeks.

She looks like a hen--no roo characteristics. She's my biggest looking hen, wider and slightly taller looking then the rest when she stretches up to look.

I looked at her feet, since I read somewhere Australorp and Jersey Giants can be mixed up at the hatchery--she's got yellow feet. But her weight is staying around 5 lbs.

Is it possible I just have a late bloomer?

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  2. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    my australorp has black feet, i think yellow feet mean she's a jersey. my australorp started laying around 29 weeks.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My 2 have black feet also.

4. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Mine has black feet and started laying at 22 weeks. I think a lot of different factors affect laying, though.

5. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I have Jersey Giants, three of them, and one of them started laying at 21 weeks. It surprised me because I thought they would be the last, since I'd heard they're late developing. [​IMG]

And my Jerseys have black legs with whitish-yellowish-greenish feet bottoms.

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    My Austrolorp also has black feet too!

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think its time for you to post a picture of this bird

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ok, here's the scoop, fellas. Australorps have black legs with gray/white soles. Jersey Giants have black legs with yellow soles. Neither should have yellow legs. I hope I didn't get the sole part backwards, but I know the shanks in both breeds are black.

9. Echobabe

Oct 30, 2007
    Ooops--I meant yellow on the BOTTOM of her feet. Her legs and feet are black--just the soles are yellow. Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Echobabe

Oct 30, 2007
    Yippee Skippy! Apparently she started laying today [​IMG] at almost 29 weeks! (there are four eggs in the next, and four of them--unless one of the others laid twice, which I think is impossible).

I'll let you know if she keeps growing, and therefore is a Jersey. I am just so glad to know she's healthy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by