Australorp question / opinion needed -UPDATED *LAYING* FINALLY!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Echobabe, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Echobabe

Echobabe Songster

Oct 30, 2007
    I purchased four chicks in May -- 2 BR, 1 RIR and 1 Australorp from the local feed store. The BRs and RIR all started laying at 21-22 weeks. The Australorp still isn't laying, shows no interest in the nests, and she's now 28 weeks.

She looks like a hen--no roo characteristics. She's my biggest looking hen, wider and slightly taller looking then the rest when she stretches up to look.

I looked at her feet, since I read somewhere Australorp and Jersey Giants can be mixed up at the hatchery--she's got yellow feet. But her weight is staying around 5 lbs.

Is it possible I just have a late bloomer?

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  2. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    my australorp has black feet, i think yellow feet mean she's a jersey. my australorp started laying around 29 weeks.

3. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My 2 have black feet also.

4. 3peeps

3peeps Songster

Jul 4, 2007
    Mine has black feet and started laying at 22 weeks. I think a lot of different factors affect laying, though.

5. pattycake

pattycake Songster

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I have Jersey Giants, three of them, and one of them started laying at 21 weeks. It surprised me because I thought they would be the last, since I'd heard they're late developing. [​IMG]

And my Jerseys have black legs with whitish-yellowish-greenish feet bottoms.

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Songster

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    My Austrolorp also has black feet too!

7. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think its time for you to post a picture of this bird

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Ok, here's the scoop, fellas. Australorps have black legs with gray/white soles. Jersey Giants have black legs with yellow soles. Neither should have yellow legs. I hope I didn't get the sole part backwards, but I know the shanks in both breeds are black.

9. Echobabe

Echobabe Songster

Oct 30, 2007
    Ooops--I meant yellow on the BOTTOM of her feet. Her legs and feet are black--just the soles are yellow. Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Echobabe

Echobabe Songster

Oct 30, 2007
    Yippee Skippy! Apparently she started laying today [​IMG] at almost 29 weeks! (there are four eggs in the next, and four of them--unless one of the others laid twice, which I think is impossible).

I'll let you know if she keeps growing, and therefore is a Jersey. I am just so glad to know she's healthy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: