Australorp, roo or crowing hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Melissa17, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Roo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hen

100.0%
  1. Melissa17

Melissa17 Hatching

Aug 13, 2017
    Hi, my name is Melissa. I posted this little chicken on our local FB Backyard chickens group today as a free roo. Several people told me that they think it's a hen. But of it's a hen, why does she crow...starting at 5am in the morning??? Please help me know what this chicken is. He/she was hatched, I think in April of this year. I've sent a message to my friend, the original owner, to find out hatch date. This little fella/stella was a school hatch project that was given to me July 8th. It first crowed July 10th and originally the crow sounded like a toddler yelling, "Ahhhh!" I can't tell you how many times I ran to my back yard to make sure that my kid's were okay. Yep, they're fine..."it's just the chicken, momma." They'd tell me. Haha! So, please help me...what is it? If it's a hen...I'm keeping her...crow 'n all. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

2. centralcaligirl

centralcaligirl Chirping

Mar 30, 2017
    Sacramento, California
    There are far more experienced people than I who can answer more definitively, but it looks like a hen to me. I have two Austrolorp hens and they are super loud in the morning. Not full-blown crowing but definitely a lot of bawk-bawk-bawking!

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    That's alot of red comb & wattle for 3 month old although I see no saddle nor hackle feathering and I know some hens crow but I'm going to say pullet.:pop Our neighbor's got some Australorp hens, they are loud & "talkative".

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Don't see any pointy saddle or hackle feathers, I think hen.

5. Melissa17

Melissa17 Hatching

Aug 13, 2017
    I have several other chickens and when I got him/her I placed him/her in a 10x10 run by itself to make sure he/she was healthy before it came into contact with my other chickens. I do have a rooster. If this is in fact a gal...is it possible that she's copying him? The crow was like a yell for about 3 weeks, but now it sounds a lot more like a raspy "real" rooster crow. From about 5am - 9am....just like my rooster. Bazaar... If I can upload video on here, I'll try to catch a a few moments of it in the morning and share it with you.

ChickNanny13 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by