Australorp Roosters- are they agressive?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by indego_88, Jan 10, 2009.

1. indego_88

indego_88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    I have a 20 week old rooster who is nice and calm at the moment. We have handled him lots since he was young. He is very nice boy. At what age do they start bothering the hens? And will he get agressive as he grows older?

2. indego_88

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    some body answer pllleaaase

3. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    they will start being interested in the hens any anywhere from 3-7 months depending on the bird.
    I found this as to their temperament-"well adaptable to confinement or free range; quiet, docile, easily handled" but that can also vary from bird to bird [​IMG]

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I had an Australorp Rooster once and he was docile and became interested in the hens starting about 6 months. He was an accident as he was supposed to be a sexed chick, a pullet but got by the sexers. beautiful bird- I gave him away.

5. Sallysitter

Sallysitter Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    Victoria, Australia
    We have a 21 week old roo. Fathered by a RIR and mother was an Australorp. He started mounting the other hens 2 weeks ago and he shares the yard with the 4 yr old RIR. We have had no problems so far.

6. edenhenry

edenhenry New Egg

Jan 10, 2009
    Melbourne, AUS
    If you've handled him from since he was young, there is a possiblity that he won't be highly aggressive. Has he lived with the hens for long?

7. indego_88

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    we actually just gave him away. we had since about 9 weeks old to 20 weeks old. he was really lovely... we swapped him for a hen from the original breeder we got him from. she said she might keep him and see if he grows into a potentially prize winning rooster! [​IMG] his dad won second prize in the sydney royal easter show..

8. indego_88

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    [​IMG]

9. GrandmaMoe

GrandmaMoe New Egg

Nov 18, 2012
    I have three 2 month old Lorps, not sure of the sex of each yet but one is very agressive. "It" is developing faster and has thick legs. When outside of the coop, he attacks the others (2 other Lorps and 3 New Hampshire Reds) but is fairly calm in the coop and run. I will be looking for a new home for him as I want calm birds my grandchildren can handle and this one is not looking good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by