Australorp Sneezing :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RckrDes, Mar 14, 2013.

1. RckrDes

RckrDes New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    Alright let me start off by saying that this particular chicken has had the bronchitis/conjunctivitis issue that is indicative of air sacks disease. She usually has a flare up twice a year in fall and late spring, we separate her, use an antibiotic ointment in her eyes (because they normally swell and crust shut), and treat with duramycin-10 as directed on the packaging.

BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT. When we first noticed this it was in january and my mom had just brought in 4 chicks that we infested with lice. One of the chicks became so anemic is died. We scrubbed and 7 dusted the coop then 7 dusted the chickens and began giving them an oral iron supplement for chickens. Everyone seemed to get better, then worse with a whole new set of issues. Upon doing more research we realized that we could have an issue with a croup fungal infection and treated that. Again everyone got better except this one hen. Now in the series of a month this poor hen has been covered in 7 dust, treated for a fungal infection, isolated, and we gave her a round of antibiotics (duramycin-10) and nothing seems to help.

Her symptoms as of right now include sneezing and when I put her next to my ear I can maybe hear the slightest of wheezing. But shes not showing any of the normal symptoms of air sacs disease. Im out of ideas as to how to help her and I hate that she has to sleep in a hen house alone at night when it gets into the 40s (shes a florida chicken).

Lastly, we have no poultry vet in the area. The nearest one is at UF and thats 3 hours away. We have avian vets that are about, but no closer then, an hour from my house. But im not sure that they even do chicken since they are located in the city.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
    -DG

2. RckrDes

RckrDes New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    I should also mention that she is acting totally normal. Not acting sick or slow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by