Australorp suddenly lethargic, listing to the side when standing, comb and wattle pale

PenelopeJane

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2022
My Jemima is approximately 9 months old. Her weight seems the same. She was just lying in the run while others were busy around her. She let me scoop her up, not at all common. When she stands, her tail feathers droop and she lists to the side. Her droppings appear mostly normal, a little runny. She seemed fine at 7 and 10AM, but this change was noticed at 1:45 PM. My other 4 girls are busy as usual. There are no signs of trauma. My girls have not been out of their coop/run in months. They all eat the same foods. The coop has pine shavings on the floor. The run is sand. Aside from their usual pellets, they had black fly larva because 2 of the girls are moulting. I have been feeding this for several days. I tried palpating the vent, but it seems comparable to my other girls'. Her crop feels fine. I am a beginner chicken keeper and on the verge of panicking.

Hi there, do you know when she last laid?
What does her crop feel like?
If they're molting, get higher protein feed or feed scrambled eggs, tuna, meat etc, black larva isn't enough protein and too much has a lot of fat.

If they're molting, get higher protein feed or feed scrambled eggs, tuna, meat etc, black larva isn't enough protein and too much has a lot of fat.
I don't know when she last laid. 2 or 3 share the same spot. She built a big beautiful nest in the pine shavings today, but no egg. Her crop is not full like I would expect it to be.

Jemima.jpg

I'd give her calcium supplement (calcium citrate or tums) in case it's an egg binding issue. The nest in the shaving sounds like she feels the need to lay and depending on where an egg is stuck it can press on nerves and cause leg issues.

When I stood her on the floor, she used her right wing to push against the floor to keep her upright.

Back
Top Bottom