Australorp very swollen and tender under vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GreenAcres825, Mar 24, 2016.

1. GreenAcres825

GreenAcres825 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2015
    NJ
    I noticed two days ago that my black Australorp is VERY swollen under her vent. I have been monitoring her, and today it is much worse and even has small scabs. I am not sure if she was messing with it, another hen was, or if it's from stretching, since it is swollen. She is very tender in that area, and when I touch it, she jumps. She is luckily one of my most friendly, so I am able to check on her easily, but I have no idea what it could be. Has anyone dealt with this or know something about it? I really don't want to lose her, she's such a wonderful hen.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. GreenAcres825

Aug 14, 2015
    NJ
    It isn't prolapse, her vent is fine. She is only swollen under her vent, it is soft, and she is tender. She is acting absolutely fine, still eating, running around, and jumping up onto the roosts and other things.

I will take a picture later today, it is raining and very dark still now.

4. GreenAcres825

Aug 14, 2015
    NJ
    [​IMG]

This is a picture; she is swollen and there are scabs, but she does not appear to be in any discomfort from it. The spot was tender previously but she doesn't seem to be tender anymore. I still don't know what it is, but I'm glad she seems to be doing fine

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Looks like it could be from pecking.
    Have you checked for any lice/mites to make sure she isn't picking at herself?
    You can apply some plain neosporin or vetericyn spray to the pecked areas to help healing. If she is still with the others, you may want to apply some bluekote to help hide the area so hopefully the others will leave it be so she can heal.

6. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    It looks like her skin is torn... I'm wondering what caused the original swelling?

Could she possibly have ascitis? Is the lump hard or soft?

Can you feel any other masses in her abdomen?

How is her behavior? Is she still eating and drinking okay? Any puffing, hunching, or lethargy?

PS - Is the lump the left of her vent at all?

PPS - Internal laying can also cause the swelling... If it's a fluid-filled lump, I would consider seeing what's in there by getting a syringe and draining it. If it's clear liquid, some people say you can drain her and she'll recover (you may have to repeat the process)... But if it's cloudy, yolky, or bloody, there's a deeper issue.

Let us know!!

MrsB

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. GreenAcres825

Aug 14, 2015
    NJ
    Wyorp Rock, I haven't seen her or any of the others pecking at her, she has been interacting with the other girls without a problem. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort any longer, she did not want me to touch it on Friday but even by Saturday she was okay with it.

Mrs Brooke, the lump is soft, and I am unsure of what has caused the swelling. It is directly under her vent, not off to either side. I have not found any other lumps. She is acting absolutely fine, eating, drinking, scratching, and super lovable as always.
    I was very worried, but she is not acting any different than her usual and doesn't seem to be in pain. I am still worried, but now I am more curious as to what the heck is going on!
    Thank you for your responses, and I will keep updating. I hope that she will be much less swollen very soon and I won't have to worry any longer!

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You say the lump is soft, does it fill like it's filled with fluid, fatty, etc.?
    Ascites (water belly) or Peritonitis are possibilities.
    Since she is eating/drinking and acting normal - no one is picking on her, you may want to let her be and just monitor her for a while.
    If she starts to go off her feed, hunch up, act lethargic or seem to have trouble breathing, then you will need to re-evaluate her. One solution as MrsBrooke states it to drain the fluids(liquid), depending on what comes out will help identify the problem.

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx

9. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Without draining the lump, if she starts to go downhill, I would separate her immediately.

If she's suffering from Egg Yolk Peritonitis, it is contagious and it can spread to the rest of your flock via shared water, feed, and the ground. It's caused by E. coli.

You can separate her in a dark place to disrupt her egg-laying cycle and give her a chance to fight the infection.

... If that's what she has.

Could you take a sample of her poop to the vet for a fecal float and possible diagnosis? (Or drain the lump and see what's inside... it won't hurt her besides a little bee sting. Potentially have a pile of towels ready if she's filled with water.)

MrsB

10. GreenAcres825

Aug 14, 2015
    NJ
    I am glad to report that the swelling has been reducing on its own, and she still is acting as though nothing was ever wrong! She really did have me worried for a while. I still haven't figured out what was wrong, but it must not have been serious since it's healing on its own. Thank you for all of your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by