1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp with laying comb - Is this ok?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tracy1617, Nov 1, 2015.

1. tracy1617

tracy1617 New Egg

May 14, 2015
    So I have read that a comb can tell you if your chicken is healthy or sick. We have a 25 week old australorp whose comb kinda piles on top of each other. I believe she is also the one who layed the last two rubber eggs. She had layed hard shelled eggs up until we moved them into their new home. Any suggestions on if I should be adding something or doing something about her comb? Thanks!

2. tracy1617

tracy1617 New Egg

May 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. sarnold1

sarnold1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    Is she walking around, clucking, eating and drinking? If she is then she's probably okay but if she seems lethargic and isn't moving very much you have a problem. Also, the rubber eggs are normal for a hen her age but her comb doesn't look normal. She could be sick but I can't tell from the picture.

4. tracy1617

tracy1617 New Egg

May 14, 2015
    Thank you. She is walking around, clucking and eating. What would cause her comb to be like this? I can take a closer photo and post it. Thank you!

5. sarnold1

sarnold1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    I'm very sorry that it took me so long to respond. She may just have a laying comb. Has it always been like this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by