Australorp x a roo or a pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlGab, Jan 23, 2013.

1. AlGab

AlGab New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Hi, I have 3 around 7-8 week old new to the family feathered friends. The one I believe may be a boy I'd a black Australorp X. Where I got them from has said to bring back any boys to swap with pullets. Might hang onto him though as s/he keeps my Reds in line already, Cock or bossy girl? Would like to know as if boy I wouldn't mind getting another girl. [​IMG]

2. AlGab

AlGab New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    I can get more photos if that would help?

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    If I could see a pic of that chicken's face and the other chickens face at the same time that would help...sometimes it is easier to tell through comparison as opposed to just looking at the one. I at least have to be able to compare...So for me to help, try to get a pic of the white chicken and black chicken faces...But usually a small but obvious red comb is the tell tale of a cockerel...

4. AlGab

AlGab New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks for your reply,I didn't both too much with a comparison photo as all 3 are different cross breeds. The white one is an Araucana cross. And the other a Barnevelder cross. So they are quite different looking. But I do have photos of all 3. Ill post them.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    him and the black with white are boys

6. AlGab

AlGab New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    [​IMG]

Ill have to get one of the black and white. I don't have any close ups. I was pretty sure the black one was and the black and white one I started to suspect too!

7. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Thanks...I got 7 chicks that are all totally different but when you put a roo right next to a hen it's pretty easy to tell...If nothing else wait a couple weeks...everyday they grow a little and it becomes clearer and clearer. At first all my females had like peach colored tiny little combs and the males had the same combs, but red...and that held true...as the males combs kept growing and the females combs have stayed about the same...and still wasked out peach colored on females, and males they are red.

8. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Well seeing that one's comb makes me think that the black one probably is a rooster, just because his comb is so very red...and usually females will have combs when they are small, but they will be orange-y looking like your white birds is.

9. AlGab

AlGab New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Black with white one
    [​IMG]

10. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I am going to guess that any of them with red colored combs and wattles this early on are in fact roosters...the peach and orange combed ones are the girls, at least in my limited experience so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by