Australorp ??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 65browneyes, Jul 8, 2007.

1. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    All this time, I've thought my alpha hen, Ethel, was an Australorp. She's a big girl, single comb, beautiful green sheen to her gorgeous black feathers. And, red in the feathers of her neck/chest area. I assumed the red was normal for some 'Lorps because of the sheen.

Further research on feathersite.com indicates 'Lorps feathers are all black.

Have I a fine example of a Black Sex-Link here? I'll get a good pic of her and post tomorrow.

I have another hen, Zelda, who I'm confident is a 'Lorp. She's my "Breck Girl" (remember the old Breck hair product commercials??), and she's my Silkie Roo's favorite. He's got her nearly bald. When she's fully feathered, she is black with the green sheen.

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I have a hen who I thought was an Aussie forever until I really checked her out. She has one little golden patch right behind her eye. She's my Black Sex-Link in disguise. [​IMG]

3. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  4. 65browneyes

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I was finally able to get a couple "decent" pics of Ethel. She loves being the center of attention, so long as whatever you have in your hand is something she can eat. Little brat was barely still long enough to get these:

This is a little blurry, but shows the green in her feathers as well as the markings that make me wonder.

[​IMG]

and here. Also, her legs are black or very dark grey, although the true color isn't represented here.

[​IMG]

5. ChickenMommy

ChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    North East Texas
    She looks just like my Black sex-link

6. 65browneyes

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Thanks, ChickenMommy! You've confirmed what I suspected. I do believe I have 3 Black Sex Links! LOL

7. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    She looks like a Black Sex link.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, just line my sex link. bald on the head too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by