1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by astralorp, May 24, 2016.

1. astralorp

astralorp New Egg

May 24, 2016
    My mother who is 80 recently got two hens. A black Australorp and a buff Orpington, they were 15 weeks old. I can't get them to go into the coop at night. They stay in the run. It's been a week.
    If I cut their wing feathers can we leave them out in the evening?
    So many questions. But they are really nice hens!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Cutting their wings will take away their only defense - flying. They will be sitting ducks for predators. You have to lock them in the coop for a few days - with food and water, so that they imprint on the coop as their home. Then when you leave them in the run they should return to the coop at dusk and you close the door securely.

If they won't go up on the roost pole, you can pick them up and place them there. Birds do not like to move in the dark. It may take a while for them to learn about roosts, since there aren't any other birds to show them.

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from DD so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! I agree with the above. Put them in the coop at night, they will be much safer there. Night time is when a lot of predators venture out to hunt and a sleeping chicken is perfect prey. Learned that lesson the hard way myself… Rather coop them up where they're safe. After a few days they will have learned (or get bored with being moved every evening) and go in there by themselves.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by