Australorp?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ra, Mar 3, 2009.

1. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    we just put a order in for 3 of theses birds. we already have 5 rir game x. we were only going to have 3-5 chickens. now its getting more and more. also the wife put a order in for 2 silkies [​IMG] theses are are first chickens. can u guys give me any advise on the australorp. from what i have read there pretty good birds. any advice or info would be great. were hoping to use them for eggs mainly unless there roosters.

thanks for any help

ryan

2. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

My Australorp is a sweet thing, and the most prolific of my currently laying hens. All five were moved to this coop on February 16th, and she's already given us a dozen eggs. I think you'll be happy with them.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    Did someone say AUSTRALORPS [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love my australorps, i've had them almost a year. They're tough, they only complain when they can't find one another, and boy they can sure go through some leaves! They peck through my winter garden, they fertilize my soil, they chase off annoying animals, and they're my own personal fan club!

of course I only have 2 chickens and they do lay lots of eggs, even through the winter. I didnt use any artificial lights or anything, and they free range in my city backyard.

take a look at this video of mine!

If you haven't guessed, I really do love my australorps.

oh, they're also evil, especially with their beedy eyes that look through your soul!
    but thats why i love them [​IMG]

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    'Lorps are great, I love mine! They're good layers, and some of them will brood for you, too. Good moms. Nice dispositions, too. Calm, placid, friendly, yet active and good foragers.

6. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    They are curious, calm, very gentle and excellent winter layers. You will absolutely love them !!! Good luck ! [​IMG]

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Our Black Australorps are wonderful! They lay well, and they're quiet natured. Pretty too - in the sun, they have a glossy green sheen to their black feathers.

One of ours was broody in Fall. She had all 6 of the eggs I gave her. Then I added 14 chicks to her 6....she brooded all 20 of them and lost none. Great Mom!

I think you'll be happy with them.

8. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    My Austrolorp is my favorite. I also have a golden campine, barred rock, and brown leghorn. The austrolorp is the most docile, and the quietest. And the only one that lets me pick her up. The only problem I have is she won't go up the ladder into the coop at night. She's kind of clumsy. I think she's afraid of falling off or something.

9. ausamerican33

ausamerican33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    I love my Australorps! Just like everyone else said - calm and gentle, no hassles at all! None of my lorps have gotten into "trouble" ever. [​IMG]

10. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I have 1 Austrolorp & 4 Buff Orpingtons & I have to say the Austrolorp is one heck of a great laying hen & really she's only just began in Dec. The yokes of her eggs are so nice & *dark orange* they are beautiful & SO flavorful! She's given me several double yokes too.... She has laid eggs every day some times for more than 2 weeks before she' take a day off & then she'll be back to another week & 1/2 of laying then a day off etc. etc.. Just a great laying hen! She's also beautiful to look at with her black feathers that look emerald green as she moves & as other have said she's quiet & docile... She's a true pleasure in the back yard. You'll not be sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by