1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenCrazy8, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    I have heard that Australorps get picked on by bigger breeds. (RIR and Plymouth Rock)
    Is this true? I have heard Australorps are amazing chickens but I have a RIR and a PR so I wouldn't get an Australorp if I knew it would get picked on.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Each chicken is an individual with its own individual personality and traits. Some breeds do have tendencies but within each breed there is a wide variety of how they act.

I've had Black Australorps together with Speckeld Sussex, Delaware, and Buff Orpington. Some Australorp were pretty high in the pecking order, some were lower. They were just as likely to do the pecking as the ones being pecked.

Buff Orpington are supposed to have a tendency of being mild-mannered and picked on. My top hen in the pecking order was a Buff Orp. That was against breed tendency.

I've never heard that Black Australorp had the tendency of being picked on. It is very possibe that someone you know had one that was at the bottom of the pecking order in the flock. That's an individual personality thing.

It is also possible, maybe even likely, that you may initially see one being picked on if you add one. Chickens can be territorial and often protect their territory from newcomers. And if you add a young one, the more mature chickens will rank higher in the pecking order because of maturity and are not shy about enforcing those rights. But this has nothing to do with breed. It is just normal integration issues. You are likely to see the same thing regardless of breed if you add a new chicken.

RIR have a reputation of being mean and bossy. Barred Rock are also sometimes reported like that. Yet you also see a lot of posts on here where their individual RIR and Barred Rock are not mean and bossy at all. It depends on the individual personality of the specific chickens you have. I have never personally had RIR or Barred Rock, but I would not hesitate to get some and mix them with other breeds if I wanted these breeds.

Good luck however you decide.

3. ChickenCrazy8

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    Thanks!!!

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

We have 9 BA hens and a Roo. As well as 40 or so other birds. They are all fine given they have enough room-overcrowding is the only issue I have come across as to them picking on each other. They lay tons of XL - jumbo eggs too!

5. chicken6465

chicken6465 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    I have 50 B A with 50 R R 50 Barred Rocks and 50 New Hampshire no picking on the BA at all

6. ChickenCrazy8

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    Thanks!!! I just picked up my Australorp chick on friday :)

7. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Australorp, RIR, Rocks are all the same size bird. Heavy breeds 7 to 8 lbs. The Australorp does tend to be much more easy going than the others,but I can't see a problem there.

1 person likes this.
  8. barredrock254

barredrock254 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    I have two Australorps, 3 Barred rocks, 2 wyandottes and 2 Speckled Sussex.

My Australorps are fine in the pecking order. One of them is the second leader of the pecking order, even with my bossy wyandottes. But, my other one is second-to-last in the pecking order. It is really sad. I think she is smaller than the rest of the chickens, though.

1 person likes this.
  9. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    We are getting two BA chicks on the 27th, heard this was an amazing chicken. Any ideas on how they like being around other breeds? All are layers. Getting two easter eggers same day.

10. Diannastarr

Diannastarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    Bisbee AZ 85603
    our BA's do great with all our other breeds Road island reds, road island whites, silver laced wyandotts , Colombian wyandotts, Delawares, new Hampshire reds, Bard rocks & most of them are older then my BA but no problems at all [​IMG]every one gets along great [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by