1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skai, Mar 7, 2014.

1. skai

skai New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Lanesville, IN
    Hi,
    I am new here and as having backyard Chickens. I am researching the perfect breed for me and thought the Australorp would be perfect, eggs are my biggest besire. However I have found a contridiction and hope I can get some straight answers here. Are they good foragers? What breed you you recommend? Maybe Wyandotte or Plymouth Rock? Its so hard to decide! Thanks, I look forward to getting to know everyone here!

2. Sweet Basil

Sweet Basil Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Arkansas, USA
    Just from limited personal experience, I would recommend Rhode Island Reds. My RIR is the best forager of my flock--she has never been skinny. [​IMG] My Australorp hasn't laid quite as many eggs as the RIR over the last 2 years.

If I keep a feeder out, most of my chickens lay daily. Due to mice overpopulation, I had to switch to taking feed to them once or twice per day, and the RIR lays consistently no matter how much or how little I feed her (except in the middle of winter, of course, when there isn't much on which to forage).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. skai

skai New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Lanesville, IN
    Thanks, I am thinking maybe I could get a mix of the Australorp and maybe the Wyandottes. Egg production is my main purpose for having chickens, foraging is good to supplement feed I was thinking.

4. chickenfarmer15

chickenfarmer15 New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    I would recommend Rhode island reds,my reds always laid through the winter, with large to extra large eggs. I was averaging about 6 to 7 eggs a week, also barred rocks lay fairly decent with nice size eggs as well.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by