1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorpe pics Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4-H chicken mom, Mar 22, 2008.

1. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    It has been 4 yrs since I have had any Australorpe chicks and I don't remember them having white wing feathers. I know they start off with some white on them, just not having all white wing feathers. Is this normal?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. meant2bemommie

meant2bemommie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    California
    I am just learning myself so no answers from this chick LOL But she is a beauty!

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Yes, it is normal. Most black chicks feather out with some white wing feathers. They will go away when they moult. Cute chick too.

4. australorpnonnie

australorpnonnie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    north ga mountains
    4-H chicken mom we have australorp chicks that will be a week old on monday they also have a few white wing feathers, i started to wonder if i got the right chicks

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    That is absolutely how they should look. The white in the face and wing tips is a good indicator you'll get an awesome pure black bird when mature. As OEG said, the chick will go through many moults before it is mature and will eventually drop the white feathers. They are very pretty.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by