Australorpe sitting in empty nesting box (5+ weeks and she's done!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greginshasta, Jul 5, 2008.

1. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    What do I do about this hen? She set up housekeeping in a nesting box a couple days ago and won't leave. No rooster, eggs are not fertile, and in the mean time I removed all the eggs that had been left in the box.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Use the search option at the top of the page and look up info on "Breaking Up Broodies".

You have a broody, but she doesn't realize that her efforts are futile.

-Kim

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I say you get a few fertile eggs for her [​IMG] But mark them so you dont mix them up when others lay eggs in there.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  4. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Quote:Ya right, what I need is more chicks. We have 9 hens, and 9 chicks. It's going to be a madhouse around here as it is.

5. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats not all that bad.......if you make the run bigger and they are spread out, you feel like you hardly have any at all [​IMG]

6. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Boy, is she ever grumpy, but worse than her - the rest of the flock is chasing her butt all over the place. She took over the other nexting box after I moved the one she had dominated, and I threw her out again. Should be an interesting upcoming few days.

7. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    We took the dividers out of ours and made one big nest box. When one is broody, they all wanna lay in the spot she is. This way they can all snuggle up without fighting and being crammed in there. I love it this way and they do too. Yeah they sure do get grumpy [​IMG]

8. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    We have recently had a broken egg in the coop every few days. We picked up oyster shell a few days ago in chance it's a calcium issue and simply soft eggs.

This morning, Ms. Broody was sitting on such a broken egg in the spot where the nesting box formerly sat. Is breaking eggs part of the broody behavior?

On edit, I just filled a large zip-lock bag with ice cubes, took it out there and placed her on it. She fluffed up, screamed at me, and in her biligerance to sit in her corner, is now sitting on ice. No eggs, just a bag of ice cubes. Man she is stubborn!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  9. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] if she needs a name.....call her 'the ice princess'

10. greginshasta

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Quote:She's driving me nuts. I sat her on an ice pack now, as most of the cubes had melted, and she sits and fluffs and sneers at me.

So... Does a water hose actually work? I actually don't like this hen very much - I guess it's the breed, but she's not at all friendly like the others. So I really don't mind if she gets annoyed with me if a hose will ultimately take her out of this mood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by