Australorpe v. Black Star

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LearningToFly, Dec 30, 2008.

1. LearningToFly

LearningToFly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    I have two hens that look like they are exactly the same breed.

One is 18mo and supposed to be a Black Star, though I bought her at the local feed store where they had tons of baby chicks in feed troughs, and they could have gotten mixed up.

The other is 7mo, came from Murray McMurray and is supposed to be an Australorpe, but since I have twice had experiences with McMurray birds not quite being what they are supposed to be, I am not sure.

Are there identifying features I can look for?

Would it help if I post photos? They look so much alike, except that Jane is obviously a more mature bird, and her legs are more grey, where Helen's legs are darker.

Thanks!

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Well, I don't know about Black Stars, but Australorpes's feet are supposed to be white on the bottom. If black stars don't have that same trait, you can look at their feet.

3. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    do you have any pics

4. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Our A. is really heavy, and coal black. The SL are a little more lean, and have a little brown cast to their head/neck. Both the A. and the SL came from MM. Pics would be good.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Our Black Sex link has just a tinge of red on her breast but the rest is coal black.

Australorps are bigger, heavier and "fluffier"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by