Australorps and D'Uccle's-happy together?

Ingrid Dixon

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
Edmond, OK
I have two 4 month old Aussie pullets and two 1 month old Bantam Mille Fleur D'Uccle's pullets. How can I introduce them without the Aussies bullying them. Someone said to wait until they are big enough to defend themselves but they will never be big. They are still in the brooder but I've been letting them free range in a pen on days that are warm. I only have one coop so permanent segregation isn't an option. Ideas? Also I have two Buff Orpington pullets that will be here next week from the hatchery, any thoughts on that? This is my first time to have chickens so any and all advice would be helpful.

I think your D'Uccles are to small to put with the Aussie. I have adult D'Uccles with my large fowl but they moved themselves in. At 4 weeks your Millies are still the size of chicks while your Aussie are almost the size of adult Aussie. You could get a dog kennel and put it in the coop. But it my be still to cold outside. I had to bring a 12 week old D'Uccle back in because she was looking like she was cold and won't go out to drink.
Michele

I have bantams and LF living together fine. I moved the banties (including several d'Uccles) into the coop in a cage at about 6 wks where they lived for a few weeks getting bigger. Then when I opened the door so they could let themselves out, they had space under the bank of cages to hide if the big girls chased them.

They all get along fine. The d'Uccles in particular tend to spend more time in my open air coop than the other breeds. I have several bamboo roosts that they like to hang out on.

My run has plenty of room for all the girls - it's L-shaped which provides more spaces for the groups to go.

The more space and places for the smaller ones to hide, the better.

Good luck!

Hi Ingrid! Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

I had bantam Brahmas and standard Australorps together for a time (including a roo of each breed), and they got along fine. Any time I'm adding new birds, I like to keep the newbies in a wire enclosure, so all the birds can see, hear, and smell each other, but can't touch.

I would also wait another month or so before introducing your 1-month-olds to older birds.

Good luck!
smile.png

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom