australorps/blue,black orps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by skeeter, Dec 17, 2007.

1. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    how much difference is there between all the orp breeds,Austral orp, blue black splash orp, buff orp, white orp ,it takes me 2 hours to pick something off a menu,how am i supposed to decide on all these choices, i have some buffs already,my aunt gave me

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Australorp isn't an Orpington, though I believe the Orps were used in the creation of the Australorp breed, if I'm not mistaken.
    You mean temperment, egglaying, etc, between the different Orpington varieties? I have Buff Orpingtons and I raise Blue/Black/Splash Orps. They are all very nice, very large birds, extremely fluffy, especially the breeder quality Orpingtons. If you breed blue to blue, you have the possiblity of getting blue, black or splash chicks, so all those would be similar, I feel, in their traits. My Buff Orps and Blue Orp girls are all good layers, with the Buffs I have, both hatchery girls, being very productive. They are all sweet, non-aggressive birds, too.
    Pick what you like! Can't go wrong with Orpingtons.

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    yes the Australorp was started from black orpingtons in Australia,

AUSTRALia ORPington

Australorp
    just didnt know if they laid more eggs than the buff,were better in cold or warm or just what the deal was with them,I have some buff orp chicks,so far i like them fine
    wanted to know if it was worth getting the austrlorps or just stay with the buffs

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't see why you couldn't have both. Australorps are great layers, in general. Just depends on what you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by