Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, and Marans in Florida

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hollywood Chickens, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Next spring I am ordering a new batch of chicks. [​IMG]
    I have chosen some breeds, but I would like some thought on how well they would do in south FL.
    In the winter the coldest it gets is 40's and in the summer the average day is 98, humid and it rain 2-3 times a week.
    Below are the breed's that I want, but how will they do with weather?

Cuckoo Marans
    Buff orpingtons
    Australorps

Thank you in advance and have a great holiday season

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Our Buff Orpington Buffy does just fine.

3. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Thanks I read that they don't dry very quickly after it rains and it sure rains here [​IMG] would it be a problem?

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I doesn't really matter to me and Buffy. I do not think it is a health issue.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I can't speak to your climate since we're at opposite ends of the country, but it rains a lot here and my orpington doesn't seem to mind. The flock free ranges during the day and when it's really rainy they spend a lot of time in the barn and under the attached lean-to, but she's out foraging with the rest in the daily drizzle and it hasn't seemed to hurt any of them.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have Black Copper Marans, Blue & Black Orps and a Australorps roo.... no problems.

7. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Thank you, I just ordered 6 Australorps and 6 Buff orpingtons they should arrive on January 6 2010

8. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Australorps were breed from Orpingtons, so if your weather suits one, it should suit the other. I live in a high rainfall area and my chooks love it ....... rain brings the worms to the surface! Enjoy your birds.

9. Hollywood Chickens

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have another question.
    How old are BOs and BAs when they start laying?

10. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    My first BO laid at 21 weeks, 2 days. The others kicked in one by one after that That was 2 months ago, and I think the last one (out of 9) just laid her first.

So, 21-30 weeks. But they were hatched in June. Maybe chicks who grow up at a different point in the year would have a different schedule?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by