Australorps from Cammy!! Hatch Complete! PICS!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vyshtia, Dec 5, 2009.

1. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    I had purchased 20 Australorp and 4 Silkie eggs from Cammy and now have 12 healthy lil babies. There are 2 more that are trying to make it...but haven't completely hatched yet - I don't have much hope for them as the weak/late hatchers never seem to do very well... 7 were scrambled in shipping, and 3 didn't make it the full term. Right now I'm looking at a certain 50% hatch rate. Not the greatest, but the babies that I do have are very healthy and adorable. I have 10 Australorps and 2 Blue Silkies. It seems there are slight color variations within the Australorps. These are my first Australorp chicks so I'm not sure what to expect color wise...I thought all Australorps were all black so I'm not sure what the color variations mean. If anyone could enlighten me, I would certainly appreciate it! Here are some picts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Your Aussies will turn all black with age, but they are born black/yellow. They will also have white tips on their wings.

I think 50% hatch rate is pretty good for shipped eggs, according to other members. [​IMG] That is usually my goal with shipped eggs. I was hoping that you would stay at the 71% that you had going.

We'll see what the others say on the hatch rate percentage and get their opinions.

How are the toes on the Silkies? My blues usually have really good toes and good feathering.

Thanks Cammy

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You did great! Congratulations!

They are beautiful little chicks.

4. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    not the greatest hatch rate...but hey, you've got a bunch of great looking birds there.
    my girl and i have been debating which breed of chicken to go with (in addition to our RIRs, banny roo) and we're most probably going to get 6 australorps.
    i've read all the literature i could find regarding these birds...plus all the random/questionable posts via the internet...but is there any first hand knowledge you could pass on to a fellow chicken enthusiast?
    i would be eternally grateful [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh gosh aren't they adorable! Congrats! And [​IMG] the other 2 make it out.

6. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    Cammy - I'm no expert at silkie feet, so here are picts for you to judge yourself. It looks like the 1st one has better separation than the second one and they both have really good feathering. They are sooo fuzzy and adorable!

Mahonri - Thank you!

Chris - I'll leave the passing of knowledge to Cammy. lol

new2chooks - Thank you!

1st Blue with best separation:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd Blue
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feathering
    [​IMG]

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    REALLY cute chicks. With the variation in coloring, it will make it easier to tell them apart.

I got the MPC 25 Rainbow Pullet Special that hatched 9/21 that included Jersey Giants and Australorps but now they are all big black chicks that I couldn't tell what is what.

I'm happy to hear the Australorps have the white tips, which they do.

Good luck with your little ones.

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Just too darned cute! Lord have mercy, after the camera is pried from my hands, hide the incubators. [​IMG]

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    The first ones feet are much better than the second. He/she will have good separation. Both will be nice blues, but the first one of course will be better due to his toe separation. My blues that I have growing up are really getting pretty.

This is one of my 5-6 week old babies:
    [​IMG]

The Australorps are wonderful birds. They are cold hardy, lay great. My Roo's are not aggressive at all. Really nice breed to have.

10. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    not the greatest hatch rate...but hey, you've got a bunch of great looking birds there.
    my girl and i have been debating which breed of chicken to go with (in addition to our RIRs, banny roo) and we're most probably going to get 6 australorps.
    i've read all the literature i could find regarding these birds...plus all the random/questionable posts via the internet...but is there any first hand knowledge you could pass on to a fellow chicken enthusiast?
    i would be eternally grateful

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I received my BAs in April from McMurrays and I love these birds! Easy to raise, calm ( as a chicken can be), good layers, ( still getting an average of 12 a day from 23 girls), good free rangers. Rooster is a fantastic guardian bird, very proud of him. I think BAs are agreat starter chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by