Australorps gender

PHILMAN

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
South Plainfield , NJ
Hi ,
I bought four Australorp chicks that are about 4-1/2 wees old. My problem is that I wanted all pullets and I think
have all roos . I looked at each chicks back legs and saw a nub where the spur would come out of . Do all chickens get them and just the roos are bigger ? I looked at the combs and they do look differnet . some were rounded in which i thought were roos and the pointed combs were pullets . I'm confused.
Can someone help me ? I did get a couple of pictures.
Thanks Phil
i cant figure on how to send these pictures .

They will all have the spur pumps. At 4.5 weeks you should have an idea of who is a roo and who isn't by the comb & waddles. The boys will be larger & redder. Plus their legs are often thicker looking. If you post pictures I am sure plenty of people on here can help. I don't know much about australorps, but I would think the sexing would be similar to my orpingtons.

Good luck, hope you have pullets.
Plus, I think you need 5+ posts before you can post pictures.

You need to get a few posts under your belt before you can upload pics. Try going to the new member section and welcome a few people...
smile.png

Quote:
Hey Phil, you have to copy the bottom address, the images, not the thumbnails. Try again
smile.png

It might be too early to tell yet, but many times Australorp roos have big ol red combs at 5 to 6 weeks. It looks like the first pic is possibly a pullet, but that second one has a pretty big comb for 4 1/2 weeks. So I think the second one is a roo.

Some of my girls grew big combs in really fast and I was sure a couple of them were roos but they all turned out to be girls. You will definitely know in a few weeks. Oh, and welcome to BYC .
welcome-byc.gif

I think they're a bit young to say for sure too. You can't go my spurs for sexing, as both girls and boys can get spurs. I've seen hens will full pointy spurs just like a roo. All of them have those bumps when they're young though.

Thanks I think you right about the second picture . That chick is the bravest and always would come to be hand fed . Of course he's one of our favorites ! But I cant have roosters here where i live so i will have to bring him back for a swap .
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom