Australorps maturity

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Resi, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Resi

Resi Just Hatched

Dec 10, 2016
    Hello chook-peeps! hope you are all well.

I have 2 black Australorp that were born on 18 September. They are a cockerel and a hen, siblings.
    my questions are:

1. At what age should I expect for the hen to start laying? it's been 4 months and 21 day (not that I am counting!)

2. The cockerel is a right bugger, friendly with us humans, but keeps the other hens from reaching food, peck and pushes them of the top roost and generally has a go at them. Is this ok behaviour and therefore to ignore? I have another Silver Speckled Hamburg cockerel and he has already lost the battle with the Australorp...
    As he's the brother of the other Australorp, he will be sent to the oven-heaven. What is the best age to 'dispatch' him? he seems rather small underneath all those feathers!

thank as always for your help!

ttfn, Resi

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most Australorp start at 5-6 months of age. Your rooster is a typical teenager. I remove mine and pen them separately if the are behaving poorly for a few months. Most roosters take about a year or more before they are mature and they begin acting better.

Butcher them whenever you wish. Some do it younger as they can take a while to put meat on their bones, and can eat a lot in the mean time.

3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Had my two hatchery Australorps start laying at 145 and 148 days (not that I was counting either!) -- they were Oct 19th babies.

Agree with above- separate the obnoxious cockerel. Had one kinda like that- after a week of seeing but not touching hens, suddenly he learned how to sweet talk, wing-shuffle, tid-bit and lots of other much nicer cockerel behaviors through the fence- because he couldn't grab anyone. The hogging of the feeder stopped as did the trying to grab every pullet/hen in sight. A good exercise, especially if you intend to keep him. Waited until "his" girls (same age) were laying and more receptive to his advances to add him back- manners improved- maybe I was lucky, but it was only a matter of a week or two in his case.

Edited to add: Missed the part about being oven-bound. In that case, just separate him out or do him a little earlier. It's not worth the chaos in the flock with the disruption at roosting time, feeding time, etc.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ljc01

Ljc01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Nipomo, Ca
    I have two Australorps and one started laying at around 6 months and my other one is 10months and has yet to lay an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by