Australorps Sitting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fteel, Jan 26, 2012.

1. fteel

fteel New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Hello, I am trying to figure out why my two Australorps are sitting so much. One of them is lying down fairly often, and the other one seems to be fine except that her tail is always pointing downward. I've filled out the suggested questionnaire below - I'd really love some help, because these are my sweetest hens.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) ------ Two Australorps, and they seem to be otherwise healthy. Good hefty weight. They're about a year and a half old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. -------- As mentioned, one lays down a lot, even when she's eating. She gets up and walks around from time to time. When I let them out to free range, she doesn't come back into the coop. I have to pick her up and put her in there. The other one will go into the coop. When standing, both their tails point downward, so they look like partridges. They eat and drink okay. I haven't had them isolated long enough to know if they're laying. They do seem to be the low birds in the pecking order, but they have always been that way. The healthier one seems just fine except for the droopy tail. She just sang me a long song complaining about being isolated away from the flock.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? ----------- About a week, or maybe a little longer. It seems to be getting a little worse, altho it's hard to tell. At first I thought it was because the Aussies didn't like the cold, since the rest of the flock was fine. (The weather was in the high 40s but sunny.) But then the weather warmed up, and they were doing the same thing.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? ------------ Just the two mentioned.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. ---------- No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. -------- No. It's winter here, but it hasn't been a particularly cold one.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. ---------- I feed them layer's mash, and they're allowed to range around the yard. They drink water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. ------------- It seems to be normal - brown with a white cap. Except that one laid a dark chocolate brown one that looked wetter than usual. Not really diarrhea.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? ------------- I thought that the droopiest one might be egg-bound, so I put olive oil on my finger and checked in her vent. Nothing found.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? ------------- I want to treat her myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. ----------- No pictures, but I could get some if you think I need to.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use -------------- The girls all live in a nice big coop with an outside run, and I also let them out of the run in good weather. The bedding is the "continuous" system... shredded newspaper, straw, wood shavings, etc. I just added a bunch of newspaper. Today I isolated the Australorps in their own pen in the basement, with (non-shredded) newspaper for a floor. They don't seem cold (it doesn't go below 50 down there and is usually warmer).

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sometimes the heftier breeds are prone to Rickets. That will put them off their legs. You can correct that with some hefty doses of calcium, Vit D3, and phosphorous for 2 weeks. A quick Google search on "rickets in poultry" can give you a "Rickets Diet". I didn't want to post the info here because it comes from a competing site, and I think that's a no-no.

I hope this helps.

ETA-[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  3. fteel

fteel New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Thank you! I will give that a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by