Australorps, the smartest chicks in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wpchicks, Aug 1, 2011.

1. wpchicks

wpchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    [​IMG]

Last week we moved our baby chicks (although not babies anymore) into to big house with their big sisters.
    Went to get the eggs tonight and found this [​IMG] I about fell over. #1 it's size, #2 it was in the nest box. It took our Brahma and Buffs about a week to get the hang of it.
    Now all of that horrible clucking this morning makes sense, my babies are turning into big girls. I guess having big sisters around probably does make the task a little easier
    to understand. So far they seem to be getting a long great. I'm glad we kept them living side by side for as long as we did before we put them together.

PS I love Austalorps, I will always keep them in my mixed little flock of 5 [​IMG]

And one question, why is it that I think my chickens are such a pain in the neck and my wallet until I start reading this sight, then I'm excited to be a chicken owner all over. Hmmmm.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    So cute! My Australorp is 18 weeks old and I can't wait for her to start laying. Her comb and wattles are red, but she isn't squatting yet.

3. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

My flock is all BAs and I just love them!
    Beautiful eggs, friendly chooks, all I could hope for.

4. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

My old BA hen is a smart girl, and a sweety!
    [​IMG]
    But the young SLW cockeral wasnt smart enough to escape the frying pan

5. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Oak Hill, New York
    Just moved my BAs to the main coop too. I can't remember how old they are, but they looked plenty big enough to go with the big girls. I moved them in at the same time as some Black Copper Marans, and I have to say the BA seem to get the idea of what's going on faster than the BCMs.

6. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Are you sure that's not a wind egg? That's what it looks like to me. How old are the new girls? Are they 20 weeks?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  7. wilcoxmad

wilcoxmad Out Of The Brooder

We got our first egg from our Australorps yesterday as well. Chicks were hatached on April 15.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by