Australorps vs. Barred Plymouth Rocks

KierstenJoy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 12, 2014
Gravois Mills, Missouri
So I'm getting ready to order my chicks. But I need more information about both breeds. Not from the Internet, but from owners of the breeds. What makes them the best? Are they good brooders? Are they friendly? Are they good layers during the winter? Why did you choose the breed?
If you could answer ANY of the questions I have that would be BEYOND helpful!! :)

I have a hatchery line australorp and a number of exhibition line barred rocks (have had hatchery ones in the past). Personally I like the rock personality a bit more, but have nothing against the australorp--she's just not as outgoing and people friendly as the rocks. More handling when she was young might have helped that. The 'lorp has never gone broody, but the rocks have. They are one of my favourite breeds.

My exhibition barred rocks are very nice--never had ANY aggression issues with them. My just turned one year old granddaughter can (and does) walk up to any of the roosters in the yard without any concerns on my part. Oh course the rooster she tried to tote around the other day was not too happy. Her hold on him was a bit too tight--and he was really too big for her to carry...this was a silkieX, not one of the rocks--those are more sized for riding than carrying!

Hello, I have raised Barred rock and Australorps for three years they are great, but they can be abit agressive,great layer and mothers. The Australorp are my go to layers in the winter but I not sure about being moms.

I had both and at the same time. I still have my lorps. I placed the br only because of a noise issue.

The barred rocks have a good personality and like interacting with humans. They dont care to be picked up though. The lorps like to be picked up even less and mine are aloof but will come for treats and talk to me. All my girls are named so I can tell them apart. Necessary for the lorps since they look so much alike.

The lorps are pretty quiet which I really like but will sing a loud egg song. I love their soft feathers. Egg production has been a let down however for the lorps. My two pullets are coming 8 months old and only one of the two is laying. Her eggs are medium but barely. Nice shells. Should my other gal ever lay, I'd be eggstatic! Barred rocks far outlay the lorps. My Helen who I just placed would lay in ANY climate hot or cold without fail. Her eggs were also a nice large egg. She was over 2 and once she came out of her hard molt, she started back up without fail. Downside to barred rocks. Mine didnt like to be confined and all Ive been around are bossy. If Helen wanted to lay when Jedi was laying she would go into the nest box and beat Jedi up. Ive had to pull her off Jedi when the pecking got too much.

If your birds need to be confined you might want to go with lorps. Im sure there are lines out there which lay better than mine do. On the plus side my gals are quite large and very striking.

If you allow your birds to free range then rocks would be the way to go. You just cant beat their large egg size and overall consistancy

I have one lorp and 2 BR at point of lay so can't comment on egg production. The lorp is very docile while the BR are higher up the chain. Both breeds range well but BR a bit better. I give the nod to the BR on looks though. I'm getting some heritage line BR chicks this spring.

I'm pretty positive I'll be going for BRs! Thank you all for your input!! It's been extremely helpful!! :)
I'm glad you chose the barred rocks!!! They were my first breed and are my favorite!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom