australorps - what have i got???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Spacekettle2, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Spacekettle2

Spacekettle2 New Egg

Feb 17, 2016
    My 2 australorps that i hatched are now 8.5weeks old, I have a blue and a black, the blue was initially quite chunky in size compared to the black and had a slightly more prominent comb but in the last 2 weeks little black has almost caught up in size and has definitely got now a very similar sized comb and wattles. i don't have any other australorps to compare to and have heard that this breed can be one of the latest to sex well so I'd appreciate any thoughts. I'm not seeing any significant different feathering but not really sure what to be spotting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a lot of comb development for only 8.5 weeks old. I would say you have two roos.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Given the size and redness of the combs and wattles at only 8.5 weeks, both of them are cockerels. :eek:(

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

5. Spacekettle2

Spacekettle2 New Egg

Feb 17, 2016
    sounds like muy suspicions were correct - boys! anyone with australorp experience able to give me a rough idea of when to expect crowing??? will give me an idea of how urgent my home hunting is :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    both cockerels - sorry

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Most cockerel breeds including Australorps start crowing from 4-5 months. However, sometimes it can be considerably longer before they begin crowing and on rare cases can be nearly a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by