1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ladyintampa, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ladyintampa

ladyintampa Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    I have 2 female Australorp hens and today, my Lucy laid her first egg, however she laid 3. Is this normal or are these egg chicks waiting to hatch. She is not with the egg so I assume they are not chicks. Normally, how many eggs can my hens lay. My Rhode Island Red only lays one at a time, so I was surprised to see 3.

A reply would help. I love this breed, they are so beautiful. Mine are shy but will answer to their names either via a whistle or calling their names. They will not let me pick them up though. Love the breed.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Aussies are a wonderful breed. I think they are one of the more favorable breeds to keep in your flock. They are generally docile, friendly and can be super attention hounds at times. If you raise them from chicks and spend a lot of time with them, when they get older they can follow you around like drooling puppies looking for love, goodies and a nice soft lap to lay on. One Aussie in a mixed flock can sometimes get picked on because they are so docile. But a flock of them are incredibly enjoyable to keep.

Young pullets that are just coming into lay commonly release more than one yolk in a 24 hour period. Their egg laying machinery is not yet full developed and hasn't smoothed out to the pattern of releasing a yolk every 27 or so hours. Aussies are great layers and once they get things going, they will lay well for you. They tend to have less laying issues than the other breeds. The eggs will be small at first until they grow closer to being a hen at one year of age, but eventually Australorps lay large brown eggs.

Enjoy your Australorps! I sure do enjoy mine and will never keep a flock without many of them in it! :)

3. ladyintampa

ladyintampa Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    Thank you so much for your input. I certainly enjoy my babies and did get them as babies but unlike my Rhode Island Red, they would run and make it hard for me to pick them up. They are, however starting to get closer to me. I plan on getting a bigger coop and get more Austies and these will be hand held.

Also thank you for your information on their laying patterns and when they will lay. I was wondering because my one hen was really making a noise this morning and when I looked in the coop and she was sitting there laying her eggs. No wonder she was making a noise, can you imagine first of all laying your first eggs and to lay 3 would really make me make noise. Lol.

Again thank you.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

Aussies can be intimated by other breeds, especially any that might be aggressive. You might work with your Aussies. Separate them out from the others and sit down on their level, the ground. Bring some goodies and let them climb on you or at least come close. Work with them until they eat out of your hand. Don't try and pick them up. Generally chickens don't like to leave the ground, especially Aussies. My birds are incredibly used to me and I still pick them up daily to keep them used to it. They still don't like it. LOL But they sure do beg for my lap. You can win them over with work. This was my first flock of Aussies....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by