1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Australorps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Peavy, May 18, 2010.

1. Peavy

Peavy In the Brooder

Mar 29, 2007
    Reno, NV
    I bought 3 (Privett) hatchery Australorps. One looks like an Australorp with the beautiful face, dark beak and eyes. Two others have lighter eyes and beaks already at 9 weeks. Bought them because I kept hearing how gentle and docile they are, but they are all very bossy and assertive. So, while I love their little attitudes and will just have to live with the light eyes, I have a question. Is this just what I should expect from a hatchery? Are they just poorly bred because the hatchery is about quantity not quality? If I want Australorps that look like Australorps should I go to a show breeder? I love the girls but they are definitely alleged![​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yes, Privett Hatchery doesn't have very good quaility birds. You probably need to get some from a breeder. [​IMG]

3. lildinkem

lildinkem Songster

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Quote:Hatchery's are usually known to ONLY breed birds for their egg laying attributes, not their type and conformation. I equate it to comparing Hatchery's to Puppy Mills. Like you said, they care about numbers. IF it lays an egg, and it is Black it is what EVER they want it to be when sold. My Black Jersey Giants from Mt Healthy wound up being Australorps. I bet they would NOT have asked as much for them IF they advertised them as Australorps.
    I personally do not use ANY LITE EYE birds in my breeding program. I would ONLY hatch from the pretty faced dark eyed girl. Get a nice cock from a show. Or find some high quality breeders, like Bruce Sherman and ask them for a cull or two to start out with. That is how I started my Orp program. I wrote and or called the breeder, and asked IF they had anything available. Most breeders will not ship chicks or eggs. Be prepared to pay $ 50 to $75 for shipping. BUT, it is well worth the money in the long run. You can start you breeding program within weeks of the new birds arrival. Just be prepared to quarentine him for 3 weeks or so to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by