Australorps

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenfiend, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Chickenfiend

Chickenfiend Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    Bellville OH
    I ordered 3 Australorp hens and 1 roo from meyer hatchery. I was wondering if you have any advice about this breed. Any info will be gladly appreciated. These are my first chicks ever but i do know the basics of brooding. so i mostly need advice that comes with experience and not just text books.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have two 6 week olds and they are sweet hearts. Kinda shy and I noticed they are lower in the pecking order also. They are beautiful birds tho! I only have experience with this age so far [​IMG] Sorry I could not be of more help.

3. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I have 5 pullets who are about 3 months old. They are HUGE compared to my leghorns and EE's and seem to be the most talkative... lots of bwok bwoking [​IMG] They are really curious and seem to be the first up to the fence to grab whatever grass or weeds we are sticking through to "chicken fish"... They are sweeties... but I can't tell them apart for the life of me!! They are all "One of the black ones" [​IMG] They all seem to hang out together too... proving the old "birds of a feather" adage!

I don't have any pics of them online and I'm not on my computer... so here's a group shot! [​IMG] All 5 are in there!! (Upper middle and right)

[​IMG]

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I have one austrolorpe, penguin. She is shy and often a loner, very sweet though. Have to say I love your run kellygwen, my girls free range but yours looks so inviting, lots of stuff for your girls to do. I really like it

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    They all seem to hang out together too...

Yes mine do too [​IMG] It's cute. when they get separated they cry for each other.​

6. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    I have four Australorp hens and one roo and they are all beautiful birds. They are very docile and curious. My rooster is very protective of his ladies and yet he is calm and behaves himself around my kids and I. I would definately recommend having this breed of chicken.

7. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    That's only a third of it! I just chopped a bunch of trees and enlarged it A LOT! I left a bunch of 1/2 trees and odd stumps and put up cross beam branches for them to climb on and there's even an old apple tree in there! The whole thing is netted over too to keep the baddies out! [​IMG]

It's been mulched since this pic was taken...
    [​IMG]

Sorry to thread hijack! [​IMG] Here's a pic of my ALs at 2 days to appease you!!!
    [​IMG]

8. Chickenfiend

Chickenfiend Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    Bellville OH
    Dont worry about post stealing. This is all great info and i love your run i still need to build a run and coop...lol

9. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

How do you pronounce Australorp? Ive always wondered that.....

10. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Aus tro lorp [​IMG]

really, i think it's pronounced just like it's spelled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by