Austrolop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Diedie, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Diedie

Diedie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    My Austrolop is very unbalanced. When he runs he tends to fall down to the one side.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does he have weakness in one of his legs, and does he try to balance with his wings? Did you get him vaccinated for Mareks disease?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Is his neck twisting as well or is it more of a balance issue? I had some do that in the beginning stages of wry neck but their legs were not involved . Has it had a vaccine for Mareks disease?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Does he seem at all dizzy? How long has he been like this? Ear infections can cause chickens to be unbalanced and clumsy. Marek's Disease, and wry neck, as the two previous posters have stated, could also cause these symptoms.

5. Diedie

Jun 4, 2011
    He has been like this for a week. If he bends forward to eat he falls over this is why he lies down to eat. If he has ear infection what must I give him. I actually thought he was over weight but I only give them food in the morning.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you get an idea if his legs are weak or not working properly? Is he scratching his ears or shaking his head? You can take a Q-Tip and check his ears for mites or infection. Giving antibiotics when you don't know for sure what is going on is not a good thing to do. Mareks disease can cause his symptoms. Antibiotics such as clavamox, amoxicillin, and bactrim can be used to treat an ear infection. Chickens need food more than once a day. If they free range, they like a little food before going to roost at night. Read post # 4 in this thread about ear infection: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/767500/ear-infection

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  7. Diedie

Jun 4, 2011
    My chickens are fed in the morning and then they roam on the farm the whole day. The austrolop seems weak in his legs as they shake when he stands still. If he runs he cannot stop and falls down. It is not mites as I clean the coop daily and they do not have scabs on the legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by