Austrolorp Chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickanddoglvr, Nov 2, 2010.

1. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    I am thinking about getting some austrolorp chickens, any advise on the breed, are they nice. I have heard they are good egg layers and are friendly.

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    they out lay rhode island reds and barred rocks and are very docile and layed back and are big enough to butcher extra roos

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    We love ours so much that DH wants to get a roo eventually so we can breed them. Our girls are very friendly and lay very well so far.

4. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Black Australorps are fantastic birds!!! Ours are big pets. They are easy to work with and are very good layers.They are on top of the pecking order but are not at all mean and are good looking birds to boot. Another plus is they handlecolder weather well.

Larry

5. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    In may mixed up flock I had two Australorps. Both were extremely quiet and calm, almost dignified. The roo was lost to a hawk, and my kids cried. "Pinky" was a stately fellow who looked out for his sister and her partridge Marans buddy. We still have Shadow, the hen. She is very reserved. Though she is bottom hen in our bunch, she is a real meticulous, proud girl. She'll pause and excuse herself from a treat frenzy to make sure no food collects on her feathers. She lays a huge, pale pinkish egg.

Our backwards flock - the top hen looks horrible with rooster tracks, bad leg and poor conformation, and our Australorp on the bottom strides the yard looking like a beauty queen.

6. Redspeckledhen

Redspeckledhen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    North Idaho
    My favorite hen is an Australorp. She runs to me when the hens are out in the yard. She follows me everywhere, waiting for me to turn over boards, rocks or logs. She gobbles up the sow bugs, worms, spiders, etc. She's been friendly since she was a tiny chick. I'd always want a few Australorps in my flock.

7. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Does anyone have pictures of their Aussies they'd like to show?

8. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Intersting as i have heard several people say that Australorps hen generally remain at the top of the pecking order - there is an Australorp thread on here

9. NeilV

NeilV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    My production reds outlay my Australorps by a little bit. However, I like the Australorps better in every other way -- they are friendlier, nicer and prettier. I will always have some Australorps. I don't have any complaints with them at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by