Austrolorp chickens good broodys?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Jan 5, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I have a austrolorp, and I heard alot of broodies in general leaving there eggs half way in the cycle of 21 days...

do austrolorps (black kind?) have a good reputation for being a good mother?

whats your experience with a broody Austrolorp?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    In this incubating & hatching eggs forum there is currently a thread just about broodies. A couple of people in there have broody australorps. You might try going over there and asking those two. [​IMG]

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Mine (who is about 2 1/2 years old now), went broody for the first time in October. She was a little unsure at first since it was her first time but after the first week she got the routine down and was very protective of the single egg that developed in her clutch.... unfortunately that one egg died sometime during incubation so she couldn't be a mother. The day after I took the egg away (day 22 or 23 I think), she immediately stopped setting. I guess she knew it was the end and nothing was coming of her efforts. Unlike my Silkies who will keep going for ages [​IMG] If she were to go broody again I would definitely let her [​IMG]

4. chookpalace

chookpalace Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2010
    Australorps are usually great mothers! I had one first time mama do a great job last year, and currently have another first time Australorp sitting on eggs that I hope will hatch any minute now. Their instincts seem to be good, and they seem to stay reasonably placid towards people around their nest.

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    One of mine went broody at 7 months. She hatched 6 smashed one while the rest were hatching. She raised 4/5 a predator took one of the others. She didn't wean them until they were almost 3 months old. She was a great mom and I will let her set again if she decides to.

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    oh ok thanks guys I hope mines going to be good like your chickens !!! [​IMG]

shes been siting for 6 days !! [​IMG]

7. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Yes, my 'lorp is a relentless broody. I tried to break her 4 times and finally gave up. Gave her some eggs and she was a great mother. She still is. She still watches over her 16 week old babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by