Austrolorp chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kwcoop, Feb 23, 2016.

1. kwcoop

kwcoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    West central Indiana
    I ordered 4 austrolorps from a hatchery, 15 total chicks. We got 17. One of the extras was a 5th austrolorp. From what I've read on here the "extras" are usually roosters. Now they are 23 days old. Of the 5 chicks one is a tad taller than the rest. It also started showing a comb about 5 days ago, where the other 4 had not. I did notice another one is starting to show a little bit of comb today. Also, the other 4 have tail feathers roughly 1 inch long, the "suspect" chick has almost no tail feathers. So, I have a slightly larger, little more comb, with not much tail feathers at 23 days old. Any opinions or experiences would be welcome.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    If you could post a photo that would be helpful!

3. kwcoop

Apr 12, 2014
    West central Indiana
    Yea I will get some pics of a cpl of them for comparison when I get a chance. I don't have a rooster and kinda hoping one of my "extra" chicks is one. I also got an extra Easter egger as well, but they all 4 look different from each other.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Based on comb and tail feathers, I'm guessing you have a little cockrel BA. Unless, he's a different breed!

5. kwcoop

Apr 12, 2014
    West central Indiana

Well he's def a austrolorp. Is it normal for a 3 1/2 week old rooster to not have tail feathers? I thought a rooster would have longer tail feathers than a pullet of same age but I'm pretty new to it. I'll get some pics of a cpl and put on here. I have a pic of one but it's not the suspect.[​IMG]

6. kwcoop

Apr 12, 2014
    West central Indiana
    This pic is one of the other 4. The one in question has a much much more pronounced comb and no tail feathers.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some hatcheries, Cackle for example, will sometimes add an additional chick that you ordered, male or female, especially if they hatched more than they need. They have a live chick guarantee and it doesn’t cost them anything extra to add an additional chick. It can keep customers happy if one dies. It can make customers happy if none die. Plus they kill any chicks they cannot ship. This is one less they have to kill.

This is different than adding additional birds just for body warmth during shipping. Practically all those are male.

They have experts that vent sex Australorps. They give you a 90% guarantee that they got the sex right. Their experts are actually better than 90% but they like to keep the odds in their favor. Still, you will occasionally get a male with your order. It may or may not be the extra chick.

A lot of people put a lot of faith in how tail feathers grow in at that age. I don’t. There are a lot of things that can act as clues to sex but most of them are just clues. Some cockerels develop pretty fast, sometimes I can spot a cockerel as soon as it hatches by leg size, posture, and attitude but a lot of cockerels develop more in line with pullets for a long time. Often, about five weeks different things develop so you can pretty much tell which are cockerels and which are pullets, but there are some chickens I’m still not sure of by more than twice that age. Australorp usually aren’t that hard. This thread talks about some of those signs.

How to sex chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48329

One pretty strong clue can be comb and especially wattle development. It’s not just size though size is a big clue. Color is an even better clue. If you have one developing red wattles compared to the others being pink not having any wattles, you have a male. At three weeks heavier longer legs and a more upright posture can also be pretty good clues. You get better at this with experience.

8. kwcoop

Apr 12, 2014
    West central Indiana
    Thanks for the info. This chick definately has a more upright posture than the others. I'll post some pics later of him/her. These austrolorp chicks are fun to watch. They are very curious, stretching their necks to see what's going on.

9. kwcoop

Apr 12, 2014
    West central Indiana
    Ok I got some really good pics of the suspected roo along with another austrolorp chick. I really noticed the red wattles tonight when I got him in bright light. See what you all think[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

10. kwcoop

Apr 12, 2014
    West central Indiana
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by