Austrolorp is acting strange. Don't know what....

Crs1

Songster
9 Years
May 13, 2014
Kansas City, MO
yesterday I noticed she wasn't foraging with the other two chickens. She wasn't walking around much and pretty isolated. I tried massaging her crop, which didn't seem bad but after she seemed to perk up some. I also noticed a couple of times she was in the corner of the coop. This morning she was in the same corner and upon inspection there was some lose green poop. Just went out to check on her and while I was standing watching her ,she pooped and it came out like water. I have pics but don't know how to attach, it was watery and white, don't know what is wrong with her. Could you please help?

Sometimes they over eat something that is too much to digest or they get something that is not good. Usually they will perk up in a few days. If not try giving her some olive oil (you can give 1-2Tablespoons) from a dropper very slowly don't let her aspirate on it. That will usually help her pass it. If you can't catch her soak a small piece of bread completely and see if she will eat that. Unless she got something poisonous she should be OK. If she was poisoned there is nothing to do.

Last edited:
Was there was a recent change in the weather? Some birds are very sensitive to drastic temperature changes. Here in Ohio it has gotten very cold suddenly and many of our birds are acting lethargic from this, but they perk up once they're warmer. They also don't seem to eat as much when they are cold and because of this usually have more urine in her droppings. I would be more concerned if the green part of her droppings suddenly turned yellow or black. You could try putting her in a cage under a heat lamp. This usually will perk up birds quickly but if not, keep an eye on her. If it continues for 2 weeks or more with the watery droppings despite being given supplementary heat, or if the droppings suddenly change color, I would try looking in to the possibility of something wrong with her. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!

Oh and a good book you can buy is "The Chicken Health Handbook" that tells all about diseases chickens can get and what to look for. It is a great investment for anyone who raises chickens. I highly recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom