Ausy babies- 3 weeks. Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JenifferHartman, Sep 20, 2013.

1. JenifferHartman

JenifferHartman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    I have 5 Australorp chicks just around 3 weeks or so. A couple of them look to be pretty obviously roosters but there are one or two that are still questionable. New to the breed.. Pictures below. 2 of each chick! Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1st chick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2nd chick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    3rd chick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    4th chick (questionable)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5th chick (is it safe to assume this one is female?)

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually some of your Australorps ( the ones with the barred featherings) look like Barred Rocks, Black Australorps are black with no barrings. [​IMG]

3. Veer67

The ones with red on their combs are roosters, the other chicks look like pullets for now.

4. JenifferHartman

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    I thought they might still be too young to make an accurate gender but a few of them have a much more prominent comb than the others so I was curious :) Thanks!

5. JenifferHartman

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    So the ones with the black and white striped feathers are barred rock?

6. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that the first three are roosters and the last two are pullets. Also looks like you have some barred rocks mixed in there. The ones with the black and white stripes/ barring. Are not pure bred Australorps.

7. JenifferHartman

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    Hmmm that's interesting :/ oh well. They were going to be meat birds, all were supposed to have been roosters.. We have some EE's that just started laying VERY small green eggs so I was hoping we could breed a few of these guys when they grow up and see what we get out of them. Thanks for the input! :)

8. Veer67

The third chick could be a rooster but because the comb isn't really red yet it's hard to know because they are still young.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think they're still too young to rule out being roosters. Roos' combs are pretty apparent at 6 weeks, just because they don't have much at 3 weeks doesn't mean they're female.

The birds with the white spot on the head and white bars on the feathers are barred rocks. I'm not sure the others are Aussies, they look to have an awful lot of white on them. You can post again at 6ish weeks.

If you put the barred roosters over your ee hens, you'll get all barred offspring. Mostly black based, but maybe some other colors depending on the hen's color. Some may lay colored eggs, giving you barred easter eggers, always cool. If the black birds are Aussies, you'd get mostly black offspring.

10. JenifferHartman

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    UPDATE:

Turns out I have three Barred Rocks. 2 roos, one pullet. The two black ones are pullets. Still have white on their faces. They are black with iridescent feathers and have white tipped wings. Are those actually Australorps? Or any ideas on what they might be?? Pictures below..

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by