Ausy babies- 3 weeks. Gender?

JenifferHartman

Chirping
6 Years
May 22, 2013
Basehor, KS
I have 5 Australorp chicks just around 3 weeks or so. A couple of them look to be pretty obviously roosters but there are one or two that are still questionable. New to the breed.. Pictures below. 2 of each chick! Thanks

1st chick

2nd chick

3rd chick

4th chick (questionable)

5th chick (is it safe to assume this one is female?)

I have 5 Australorp chicks just around 3 weeks or so. A couple of them look to be pretty obviously roosters but there are one or two that are still questionable. New to the breed.. Pictures below. 2 of each chick! Thanks

Rooster

1st chick

Rooster

2nd chick

Pullet

3rd chick

Pullet

4th chick (questionable)

Pullet

5th chick (is it safe to assume this one is female?)
The ones with red on their combs are roosters, the other chicks look like pullets for now.

I thought they might still be too young to make an accurate gender but a few of them have a much more prominent comb than the others so I was curious :) Thanks!

I think that the first three are roosters and the last two are pullets. Also looks like you have some barred rocks mixed in there. The ones with the black and white stripes/ barring. Are not pure bred Australorps.

Hmmm that's interesting :/ oh well. They were going to be meat birds, all were supposed to have been roosters.. We have some EE's that just started laying VERY small green eggs so I was hoping we could breed a few of these guys when they grow up and see what we get out of them. Thanks for the input! :)

I think that the first three are roosters and the last two are pullets. Also looks like you have some barred rocks mixed in there. The ones with the black and white stripes/ barring. Are not pure bred Australorps.

The third chick could be a rooster but because the comb isn't really red yet it's hard to know because they are still young.

I think they're still too young to rule out being roosters. Roos' combs are pretty apparent at 6 weeks, just because they don't have much at 3 weeks doesn't mean they're female.

The birds with the white spot on the head and white bars on the feathers are barred rocks. I'm not sure the others are Aussies, they look to have an awful lot of white on them. You can post again at 6ish weeks.

If you put the barred roosters over your ee hens, you'll get all barred offspring. Mostly black based, but maybe some other colors depending on the hen's color. Some may lay colored eggs, giving you barred easter eggers, always cool. If the black birds are Aussies, you'd get mostly black offspring.

UPDATE:

Turns out I have three Barred Rocks. 2 roos, one pullet. The two black ones are pullets. Still have white on their faces. They are black with iridescent feathers and have white tipped wings. Are those actually Australorps? Or any ideas on what they might be?? Pictures below..

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom