1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Author Anne McCaffrey has died :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WIChookchick, Nov 22, 2011.

1. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/anne-mccaffrey-has-died_b42826
    Fantasy
    novelist Anne McCaffrey has passed away. She was 85 years old. GalleyCat confirmed the sad news with Random House this afternoon.

McCaffrey’s career began with Restoree in 1967. She went on to earn a dedicated following for her beloved series, Dragonriders of Pern. At her website, McCaffrey answered letters from dedicated fans through November. This GalleyCat editor will never forget reading her books as a middle-school kid. Share your memories in the comments section…

You can read her complete biography at her site. An excerpt: “Her first novel, Restoree, was written as a protest against the absurd and unrealistic portrayals of women in s-f novels in the 50s and early 60s. It is, however, in the handling of broader themes and the worlds of her imagination, particularly the two series The Ship Who Sang and the fourteen novels about the Dragonriders of Pern that Ms. McCaffrey’s talents as a story-teller are best displayed.”

On her blog, she offered this advice for aspiring writers: “First — keep reading. Writers are readers. Writers are also people who can’t not write. Second, follow Heinlein’s rules for getting published: 1. Write it. 2. Finish it. 3. Send it out. 4. Keep sending it out until someone sends you a check. There are variations on that, but that’s basically what works.”

The great novelist has gone between on her gold dragon.

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    She will be missed. I have read all of her books and enjoyed every one.

Her son, Todd, has continued the Dragonriders of Pern series.

3. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Quote:I also loved all her books. But, I don't care too much for her son Todd's books. To me he doesn't write very well [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have no idea who she is, but I am an avid reader and when the literary world loses a good author, it is time to mourn.

5. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    That's sooo sad! [​IMG]

I read many, many of her books when I was younger.

6. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    Quote:Debi- she was one of the first female science fiction/fantasy writers, and has mentored and inspired alot of writers, and helped get many published.

Her ability to take people and put them into places that are both utterly alien and futuristic with plots that draw you in, help you identify with the characters
    and in the end you can't wait to read the next book, but her characters grow in depth and don't loose their uniqueness.

I remember when a major character died of old age, after reading about him through several books, I cried, I and other readers felt the characters grief and loss
    as if we had been there.
    Also her ability to re-invent herself as a writer. Creating several "universes" that sometimes crossed paths, but for the most part were each unique and enthralling
    to read and see the images in your mind.

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear she has died. I spent many very pleasant hours as a young man reading her novels.

8. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    That is soooo sad, I have read all of her books. She was an amazing author. Her son Todd has written several books to continue her most popular series, "The Dragon Riders of Pern", while I agree I like her writing better, Todd does a descent job.

9. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:Debi- she was one of the first female science fiction/fantasy writers, and has mentored and inspired alot of writers, and helped get many published.

Her ability to take people and put them into places that are both utterly alien and futuristic with plots that draw you in, help you identify with the characters
    and in the end you can't wait to read the next book, but her characters grow in depth and don't loose their uniqueness.

I remember when a major character died of old age, after reading about him through several books, I cried, I and other readers felt the characters grief and loss
    as if we had been there.
    Also her ability to re-invent herself as a writer. Creating several "universes" that sometimes crossed paths, but for the most part were each unique and enthralling
    to read and see the images in your mind.

I still remember reading when Master Robinton died, do you know how hard it is to read while crying? I was riding the school bus home crying my eyes out while trying to read, people thought I was crazy, over a character in a book. (this was over 25 years ago)

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    She'll live forever in every character she ever wrote!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by