Authorities will do nothing and I am furious, drug the legs of horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

feather and mountain man

Corn fed Indiana farmgirl
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
This local man is a known animal abuser / horse trader and had a faulty trailer. The botom broke out of the bottom of livestock trailer and he drug the legs off of three horses. He was pulled over and the authorities did nothing. I can't stand this guy I have personally seen him beat horses at local autions and has been banned from many auction houses. Why won't they prosecute him. He said he had no idea the the horses were being drug. It was horrible.

He said he had no idea the the horses were being drug. It was horrible.

That BS excuse right there is why he isn't being prosecuted
sad.png
They can't prove that he knew what was going on.
The auction beatings are a different story. The judges or supervisors (who ever is in charge) should have called whoever they needed to call in order to get him in trouble when they saw him doing it. I think that when someone holds auctions or shows, then they are in charge of the goings on and should have had him arrested when it happened.
Some cops just don't know if it's illegal.
I hate people who get animals and don't treat them properly. Makes me wanna scream.​

If you know he has other horses, it might be worth it to make a call and let the animal authorities check him out. If they find he's not caring for them they can seize the others and take him to court to get a ruling that he can't have animals any longer. Just because the police can't prove neglect and go after him, doesn't mean another section can't do something.

I was just told here in Illinois, or at least the county where I live, it does no good to call animal control or the authorities. You have to call a lady in Springfield, who works for the agricultural dept. I think . . . call your state ag dept and see what they tell you. THAT is the worse story I have heard in a long time, and the one in Ohio was bad enough.

We had a man that lived just north of us who had sheep and dogs (dozens and dozens) in a big metal shed, they all died from neglect and he buried them together in a huge hole. Story was the EPA came in and condemned the property for quite awhile because of the possibility of contamination from that many bodies being buried together. . . it was over 50 dogs and LOTS of sheep. Starved them to death, and not a thing was done to him. . .makes me absolutely sick.

Once at a horse campground an trail park we witnessed this and Sheriff was called but sheriff said since he did not see it he could not get involved.

The other was at the auction house and the auction house owner was called over and he didn't want to cause any conflicts of sellers and buyers and since then they banned him. The authorities were called and stated that since it was not video taped or caught on picture they would have no proof. Indian sucks when it comes to animal rights.

Last edited:
that is disgusting, I know that here, if there is food and water ON THE PREMISES, horses can be allowed to be practically starved...I used to have neighbors who wouldnt feed their horses for being hard to catch, duh, they beat them when they finally caught them...I called sheriff and animal control several times, but since horses are not considered companion animals, but livestock, they have different rules. Finally, one got out on the highway and a car hit it, then the highway patrol got involved, fines all over. So sad, I offered to buy the horses from these ppl, but no....they were VALUABLE!!!
barnie.gif

There are many laws in effect to protect animals from cruelty/abuse....just try to find someone that will enforce them.
somad.gif

It's very possible he didn't know what had happened. Like it or not this does occasionally occur, even to good people who would never intentionally injure an animal. It's more common in big loads of cattle, but bad things can happen in any shipping. It's a risk you take every time you load livestock up and hit the road and that's regardless of the condition of the trailer at the time of loading.

Regardless of your personal feelings about the man's character and history even a "bad" man isn't likely to let this happen on purpose, especially a horse trader. Those horses are money, he lost a lot in that accident.

Personally, I'm glad they're not prosecuting. When you start throwing the book at people over accidental occurrences you start dancing on a real slippery slope. As someone who has to haul livestock on a regular basis I am nervous every single time I load up that something bad will happen. Again, you take huge risks every time you load up. I would hate to think that if something accidental happens when I'm hauling the law is going to be thrown at me and ruin my entire life. I do everything I can to ensure a safe trip for us, our stock and other drivers every time I back up to that trailer, but I cannot ensure 100% that nothing will happen once we're 30 minutes or an hour or a full day down the road.

Dragging a horse in an old trailer should never happen but it does. Some folks just don't care. They are out to make a dollar and that is all.

YOU, on the other hand seem to care what happens, so get involved. The best thing you can do in an animal abuse case is to document what you see. Once you have documentation (dated photos and videos) you can approach the proper authorities and make sure they take action. Unfortunately in many states there are not sufficient laws governing the humane treatment of livestock. Put your foot down, make a difference. See if you can get your local media involved. TV and newspapers love to do stories on puppy, cats and horses at this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom