Authors anyone??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Arklady, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Have you ever authored a book if you have what was it about and can we see it??? Also if you have published a book, I have some questions.

Arklady

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

3. Arklady

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I am working on a piece right now and though I can't talk about it. My main concern is theft and how copyright and such works. I mean I would hate for it to come to light in another story or show or what ever. I have told my family about it and I have kept records of when I established the main characters. But I need to know a better way. Any help would be appreciated any one??? lol...

Arklady

4. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Coyote, Cute stories! I'd love to write and illustrate a childrens book. My ex is a writer(published) and a jerk(certified).

Arklady, here's a cheap way to copywrite. Mail a copy of the manuscript to yourself (registered mail). Keep the envelope sealed.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:yup that's what we call the "poor man's copywrite" But it does hold up in a court of law. There is a way of going through a bunch of legal stuff but if you are short on cash (like I always am) the "poor man's" is the way to go. I have about 8 registered letters in my safe.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am a published author of non-fiction, historical work based on the 1861- 1865 era of my native county. Two copies of my book are registered and deposited with the Library of Congress. I prefer not to give out my full name for privacy reasons. I have small children and don't think it is a good idea for anyone and everyone to be able to drive up to my house based on the info in the cover of my book.

7. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Coyote, I figured it probably wouldn't hold up legally but it is at least a start of proof as to the earliest origins of the copy. Wonder if it would help any to have a notary public review the work and notarize a sworn statement by the author to the fact that the author created and completed the original work on x/x/x date...? I'm always broke too. lol!

8. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    I'd recommend reading The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. Lukeman is an agent-turned-author who writes about the publishing business and the biggest mistakes writers make. It's a fantastic book and he even addresses the copyright issue; he says that for the most part, there's no need for paranoia in regards to book material because, frankly, no one wants to steal it.

Amy

9. Arklady

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Thats an interesting point Lynn, I have told my sister of the book but I also have the creation dates on my computer as proof but that is so loose as to copywrite. I don't want to depend on it and the only other way is for my family to support me in court with knowledge that I started the book on said date, just to go with the copy write. My daughter also knows when I started the story. She is also instrumental in some of the creative processes. Many of the characters I have created are original and she is the only one aside from my sister to know their names.

While I am thinking of it does anyone here know of an authors forum?? Maybe some info could be found there??

Arklady

10. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I wrote 6 books. [​IMG] While I was in elementry school. [​IMG] 1 book from each grade 1st. through 6th. Does that count? [​IMG] I'm kidding. [​IMG] I did win 1st prize for 3 of those years tho. [​IMG] Good childhood memory. I think I still have them all too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by