1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Autistic boy's therapy chickens culled by thugs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Firefighter Chick, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    Has anyone seen in the news of a family in Florida that was keeping a few back yard chickens to help their Austic son? Keeping chickens was an ordinance violation and they were being pressured to get rid of them or face fines. Before they could act, some thug or thugs came in and killed their chickens. That poor boy! Stories like this break my heart! As a community on here, some on here have fought ordinance violations and educated the community and changed minds on chickens. Does anyone think that we can do anything? Write the family's city government? Any ideas?

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

A lot of times, you can get special exemptions for therapy animals... I wonder if chickens do or can count, under ADA regulations?

3. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    Quote:Thanks

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    no they would not count under the ADA. some states (not sure if florida is one) allow almost any creature to be registered as an "emotional support animal" and that allows them to be kept even in homes that don't allow pets. emotional support animals aren't recognized under the ADA. And, except in very special circumstances related to certain individual needs to use a mini horses, service animals are now legally defined as ONLY dogs.

5. Gomes Bantams

Gomes Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

I would peronally find those people and destroy them socially or physically. Im sorry but things like that really set me off. And if it was for therapy for a autistic child, that makes me even more mad. I have 3 cousins who are autistic and use chickens as therapy to. Those thugs deserve whatever pain and suffering comes to them.

I have spoken.

~Lucas Michael Silva Giron-Baca Leonardo Gomes

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    reading the other threads and the article describing what happened it sounds more like raccoons than people. Especially since the chickens were only protected by chain link fencing.

7. That's what I've been thinking. It never seemed like anyone was ever even mad about the chickens in the first place. I mean, the city had given them pardons, and the article didn't make it sound like neighbors were upset or anything. It would make no sense for someone to do this.............. Some more evidence that it was a human would be nice. And if it turns out I was wrong, and some sicko did do this, I would like to personally beat them senseless.

1 person likes this.
  8. DeBaryDowns

DeBaryDowns New Egg

Oct 27, 2012
    I have been to the Hart's house. While their enclosure is not "appealing to the eye" it is quite clean and predator proof. They were actually locked inside a hen house at night, (4 walls protecting them with a singled roof as well) which was protected by a chain length fence which also consisted of buried chicken wire fence around the bottom to prevent digging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by