1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Auto coop door??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jwatts, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I am building a new chicken coop nd i am looking to do an automatic door. I recently ordered a Add-A-Motor Chicken Coop Motor AAD20. I see that you can plug this motor into a timer,my question is how does it really work? is there a limit on the motor that stops the power? When it powers up in the a.m. does it hold power in the up position till p.m. power goes out and door goes down? maybe i'm thinking to much.lol

2. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    Wondering if it needs a 2 on 2 off timer??

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I know there are a few people that have this door on the forum. If they can't help you, maybe you could contact the site that sold it to you and ask them.

4. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Hi jwatts. We have the Addamotor (love it!) and it looks like our timer is a 2 on, 2 off as you mentioned. It's a timer we got at Lowes. It has the little pull out things. It is set to go on at 5:10 and off at 5:20 am. Door stays open., Then, depending on sunset time, it goes on and off again in the evening and the door closes.

We reset the pull out things a couple times a year. I check it when I am cleaning.

I suppose if you had a different timer, like a digital one, you could set it by the minute, instead of 10 minutes.

Good luck! You're gonna LOVE it!

E/

5. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    thanks green eggs and ham for the info,it was just what i was looking for.. i just recieved my motor and bought a digital timer,i love it. Cant wait to hook it up..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by