auto door material??? suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by seminolewind, Aug 22, 2011.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I just got the motor and the timer. I just can't decide what to make the door out of. I'm worried that the door will get stuck due to the texture of the material?

2. The BackYarder

The BackYarder Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Left Coast
    Plexy glass. I like to be able to look in. Also it is strong and will slide down a channel easily and does not weigh much.

It you want it opaque you could paint it.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

BY

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I was thinking plexiglass because the edges are smooth

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I used an old aluminum street sign my son had stolen years ago, just cut it down to the size I wanted, made a track for it to slide in and hooked it up to my motor and timer. Slides flawlessly every time. Also have seen people use a plastic cutting board, plexiglas, smoothe plywood, etc....Pretty much anything will work. Just allow alittle wider groove(track) than the thickness of what material you use for door. also, create a groove in the sill(bottom) for the door to go into...makes for a good seal. Good luck.
    Erik

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'll have to do that groove in the sill-good idea!

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Some people use plastic cutting boards. I think that's what we might use. I can find one and then we can make the doorway to fit it.

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That plastic cutting board sounds like something I can find at the flea market or maybe even walmart.

8. RichardB-SETN

RichardB-SETN Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Southeast Tennessee
    I was wondering the same thing! I found a board at work that may do the trick. (Isn't it funny how you look at things differently when you're building a coop? This thing has been on the table next to me for years!) Anyway, it's some kind of high density fiberglass board - basically just some kind of hard resin and strands of fiberglass, I guess. Someone told me it came out of an old electrical box. It's very hard, strong and water resistant. I'll find out if it works or not, 'cause I'm gonna use it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yup, things look way different from a scavenger's point of view!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by