auto door?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by augiedranch, Feb 14, 2015.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    I'm looking for a automatic coop door that is big enough for a turkey to pass through. .. I can't seem to find one. I have two for my chickens, but I need help finding a turkey one,;)

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    You can buy a D20 Coop Door Motor and make your own easily whatever size you want. I have 8 of them and I just used sturdy plexi-glass for the guillotine lift door with 1/2" plywood for spacing and 1"x2" boards as stays for the track. The D20 coop motor works like a fishing reel when it is plugged into light timer. For weather protection my coops have a exterior coop door too. [​IMG] Here is a link to ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro....m570.l1313&_nkw=D20+Coop+Door+Motor&_sacat=0

3. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    Awesome! Thanks for the response!

4. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Glad I could help. When you make the track for the plexiglass - make sure you build it to drop into a slot on the bottom edge too so, raccoon fingers won't be able to lift it up to open from the outside.

5. Bowslayer2

Bowslayer2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2014
    I agree it is a good door.....my questions is how do you get you turkeys to actually go in at night? Mine will stay out and roost no matter how cold it is. They refuse to go in...lol

6. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Put them in with food and water and lock them in for a few days so, they start calling it home. lol

7. Bowslayer2

Bowslayer2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2014
    Yep.....tried that.....but in my limited experience turkeys refuse to go inside to roost. They much prefer the outside in a tree or on a fence in -20.....can't say I understand it?

8. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Are they Eastern Wild Turkeys? lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by