Auto Egg Turner question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by arlee453, Oct 29, 2007.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'm on day 8 here with the rubberchicken-abator and have a question about egg turners.

Would an auto egg turner for a bought bator (like the 'optional' turners you put in later) work in any box if you get the kind that has it's own power cord? (and obviously would have to fit in the bator you have)

Thanks!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, if you got a turner tray that fit, and the turner itself, it will work. Really, you can buy all the incubator parts you need from commercial bators and it should work with a bit of retrofitting. It is often expensive though.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I checked on it once for my homemade one and my bator was to small I think the turner was 18"x18" or 15"x15" and mine was only 12" wide. But I think they come with their own power cord.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    That's what I figured - like you say though, once you've cobbled together your own thing using replacement parts youve got enough in it that you could have just bought the brand name.

I'm hand turning now, and I think it makes me feel more like their momma hen - I roll each one and think about how the hen does that for her eggs.

I saw definate signs of life in 11 of 14 eggs last night (day 7) and only 1 completely clear, so my bator and hand turning must be working OK so far!

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    That's great I have two ameraucana eggs and button quail on day 18 today. Then I've got welsummer and silkie eggs going in this week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by